how to approach professors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yjj8817

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How can I approach professors/teachers so that they can know more about me? Should I just go to their office hours and start a friendly conversation?

also, would it be ok to get recommendation letters from professors of large lecture classes? cause most of my classes have been large lecture classes...

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to office hours. Bring questions about material so you're going there with an objactive and arent just looking to shoot the breeze right off the bat. Then if the topic turns to, "so what are you doing after college", then you can inform them of your aspirations to be the next Harvey Cushing.

Should I just go to their office hours and start a friendly conversation?

NO!

There is nothing that irritates a professor doing work at his desk more than a random, faceless undergrad dropping by to make small talk.

If you want to get to know a professor better, ask them questions beyond the class about relevant material. For example, if a lecture you attended covered neurotransmitters, try to ask your professor interesting questions after class about how neurotransmitters work, their evolutionary history, etc. and chat them up about the content of the class. That way, you're less likely to irritate them.

The rule of thumb is to discuss stuff with the professor as much as you can without interfering in their work.

also, would it be ok to get recommendation letters from professors of large lecture classes? cause most of my classes have been large lecture classes...

Ask for a LOR from a professor who knows you the best. If you can't, then you risk the chance of your LOR sounding vague and unspecific about you.

Members don't see this ad :)
How can I approach professors/teachers so that they can know more about me? Should I just go to their office hours and start a friendly conversation?

thank you!

It's totally fine if your letter writer teaches a large lecture. I think what's more important is how much the professor knows/likes you which will translate to a better letter.

In my experience, I've just emailed the professors I am close to asking if they'd like to meet and discuss my other activities so they get a comprehensive view of myself. Attending office hours would also be just fine.

NO!

There is nothing that irritates a professor doing work at his desk more than a random, faceless undergrad dropping by to make small talk.

If you want to get to know a professor better...

I disagree with this. IMO, depends on the professor. Maybe you've had some bitter professors in the past. Some professors are completely fine with students coming in and having small talk to get to know them better.

I agree, some professors enjoy talking to their students about anything. doesn't hurt to start with a small question relating to their class though

I disagree with this. IMO, depends on the professor. Maybe you've had some bitter professors in the past. Some professors are completely fine with students coming in and having small talk to get to know them better.
My bio professor definitely enjoyed students who came by and showed interest with friendly chit chat. We had a lot of great conversations, everything from Virology to talking about my "Dawkins is my homeboy" t-shirt.

When I decided to take an interest in acquiring some research, I looked up her published material, discovered she had several things published regarding cancer (which I'm very interested in), asked if she needed any assistance in the lab, and wa-lah! Just be cautious and try to understand their personalities. Worked for me!

I agree, some professors enjoy talking to their students about anything. doesn't hurt to start with a small question relating to their class though

Yea it's definitely a good place to start. At the same time, you're gonna have to listen for conversational cues to balance out small talk with meaningful discussion, as AlCapone alluded to.

Office hours mean professors have to be available to chat w/ students, unless of course there are a bunch of other students present who have questions to ask.

Reactions: 1 user

Glucagon's got a good point and I guess it depends on the professor. I'm typically cautious and don't go in during their office hours unless I really have something troubling me, but then again, that's just me.

Glucagon's got a good point and I guess it depends on the professor. I'm typically cautious and don't go in during their office hours unless I really have something troubling me, but then again, that's just me.

Dude don't worry so much about a professor's perception about you. There are of course all kinds of professors out there. I have sat down about with professors and not only talked about the jargon of class but also things I have read in the news which can pertain in the class or be totally unrelated. I have even asked about medical school (learned some of the professors were in fact interviewers).

My professor, who is now my masters advisors, said to me "I am being paid to do office hours. I should be sitting down and speaking with my students."

So there will be all kinds of professors. Of course I had professors who did not really like me but, guess what, I just don't talk to them any more. You need to take the initiative to talk to them to find out who are the ones that will actually help in your endeavors and who won't. You will be surprise how many professors want to help their students (med school, grad school, find a job, whatever).

The way I have gotten to know two of my professors here is just by asking them questions about their area of expertise beyond where it goes in lecture. Not too many professors get undergrads that go to their office and seem interested in their field believe-it-or-not.

if you ask questions that are relevant to class/their research, they wont trip...if you ask as they are leaving the classroom/ walking to their office, they shouldnt really mind either, just don't be clingy or overzealous......I feel that getting them to know your face and then starting to talk to them more and more (office hours) as the quarter progresses is a good idea.....it is like "courting" more than anything.....God I hate how much of a business this can be.......

Reactions: 1 user