How to approach the 'what have you done since graduation" secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kilweedy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if their were any tips for people who took their gap year for personal reasons and didn't do anything 'official' related to medicine. My answer inevitably seems to come down to "I'm a person who is planning his life around a career in service and science, so thought I'd take some time off". Now I feel like this answer would just completely derail my app so is their any advice on spinning this so I don't come off as someone with no passion for medicine. I'd prefer not to take a sob story route in relation to my grandparents.

How I Spent My Time:
The first 5ish months of my gap year I worked as a temp while taking care of my infirm grandparents (paid under CDPAP) so I suppose that's clinical, but seeing that it's a family member I doubt it counts. January-May traveled long stretches, and have started temping again while completing apps and looking for better employment.

Members don't see this ad.

Was wondering if their were any tips for people who took their gap year for personal reasons and didn't do anything 'official' related to medicine. My answer inevitably seems to come down to "I'm a person who is planning his life around a career in service and science, so thought I'd take some time off". Now I feel like this answer would just completely derail my app so is their any advice on spinning this so I don't come off as someone with no passion for medicine. I'd prefer not to take a sob story route in relation to my grandparents.

How I Spent My Time:
The first 5ish months of my gap year I worked as a temp while taking care of my infirm grandparents (paid under CDPAP) so I suppose that's clinical, but seeing that it's a family member I doubt it counts. January-May traveled long stretches, and have started temping again while completing apps and looking for better employment.
I would go with what you said in the second paragraph. That's what you did and does sound better than just taking time off. I don't think you need to cure cancer in your gap year, but I think they just want to make sure you're not sitting on your couch trying to transform into a potato.

Just be honest. You can bet that they're going to ask you this same question during interviews so you might as well come up with a good, honest response now. As long as you haven't been sitting around being a couch potato, it's fine. If you have, then we can't help you.

Members don't see this ad :)

How I Spent My Time:
Employment through a Temp Agency for [title or skill set used] sounds good.

I think it's perfectly fine to claim paid employment for in-home elder-care/personal assistance/or whatever. They aren't going to ask for client names.

Travel is a good answer, too. If it was adventuresome (but not risk-taking) or international, throw in details.

Just don't throw in the detail of video games in the parental basement and achieving level 87 in WOW.

Reactions: 1 user