How to approach this PS topic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellowalnut

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Answered. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My immediate question after reading this post is how would this PS tell the reader much about you as a person? You want your PS to illustrate 1. why medicine and 2. why you. Writing an analytical essay about the problems of the healthcare field (which is what this sounds like to me) is not really what a PS is about. Do you have personal experiences working with underserved populations that you're going to write about? Maybe focus on that instead? You'll also want to suggest to the reader why you're interested in medicine as opposed to, say, public health or policy.

Reactions: 1 users
My immediate question after reading this post is how would this PS tell the reader much about you as a person? You want your PS to illustrate 1. why medicine and 2. why you. Writing an analytical essay about the problems of the healthcare field (which is what this sounds like to me) is not really what a PS is about. Do you have personal experiences working with underserved populations that you're going to write about? Maybe focus on that instead? You'll also want to suggest to the reader why you're interested in medicine as opposed to, say, public health or policy.

Sorry if I wasn't very clear in my original post. In reality, addressing these disparities serves as a motivation/theme in my pursuit but encompasses a very small part of my actual PS. I spend more time in my PS talking about my personal experiences and background relevant to this motivation. Regarding your last point, I definitely will try my best to make sure I can address specifically medicine vs public health/policy. Thanks!

There is no problem with discussing this topic. Make it clear it's a systemic issue and don't single out any particular person as a bad example.