How to approach "what osteopathic experience do you have?" when you have none?

gannicus89

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I never shadowed a DO [not for the lack of trying] or saw a DO perform OMM/OMT. I have read The DOs by Norman Gevitz and other material about osteopathic physicians. I have also watched a lot of videos which showcase OMM. If asked what osteopathic experience I have, how bad would it be to say none, but add what I have learned/seen from my research about the profession? I'm not sure mentioning YouTube is appropriate in the interview setting, but I really did learn a lot about how OMM works through those videos.

QueenJames

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Bro...

Do you even DO...?

lolz jk.

But seriously, just be honest about why you are pursuing medicine and maybe try incorporating the underlying principles into that? Maybe mention you have seen educational documentaries (don't say youtube! that would be lolz) regarding such facets like manipulation and yadda yadda yadda.

TrueWolverine

2+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2015
Status
Maybe I'm naive but I actually don't think mentioning YouTube would be a terrible idea. It shows that you may not have had the resources to shadow but still wanted to know what you were getting into and wanted to learn more about it. Don't take my word for it but doing your homework through reading books and watching YouTube videos says a lot more than just "I didn't know what to do so I didn't do anything."

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I never shadowed a DO [not for the lack of trying] or saw a DO perform OMM/OMT. I have read The DOs by Norman Gevitz and other material about osteopathic physicians. I have also watched a lot of videos which showcase OMM. If asked what osteopathic experience I have, how bad would it be to say none, but add what I have learned/seen from my research about the profession? I'm not sure mentioning YouTube is appropriate in the interview setting, but I really did learn a lot about how OMM works through those videos.
You could say just that. You've done the research and it appeals to you. Albeit, it will only assist your application in a positive manner if you can get in touch with a DO who performs OMM in their clinical practice.

OP
gannicus89

gannicus89

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2015
Status
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
You fix it by shadowing a DO. There's no way around it, not having a DO LOR or shadowing experience is a devastation thing for your application. You do not want to end up on the back burner of a school just because you couldn't spend a day or two to shadow a DO in the next town over.

Reactions: AlteredScale
Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Look for a DO or a DO School near you and contact their faculty. You need to shadow someone.

OP
gannicus89

gannicus89

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2015
Status
Look for a DO or a DO School near you and contact their faculty. You need to shadow someone.
My DO interviews are less than a week away, seems like a lost cause now. The DOs I've seen through my clinical research were indistinguishable from the MDs.

OP
gannicus89

gannicus89

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2015
Status
You fix it by shadowing a DO. There's no way around it, not having a DO LOR or shadowing experience is a devastation thing for your application. You do not want to end up on the back burner of a school just because you couldn't spend a day or two to shadow a DO in the next town over.
I think it's too late to actually shadow a DO, my interviews are this week.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
Be very open and honest about your only reason for going DO being that you can't get into MD school.

Seriously though, just be honest. Tell them you read the book, that you've looked into what OMM is all about, etc. You can send me a PM and ask me any questions and I'll answer them for you, so you could at least say you spoke with a DO student and asked them what was up with OMM and DO school in general.

edgerock24

5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2012
Status
Medical Student
My DO interviews are less than a week away, seems like a lost cause now. The DOs I've seen through my clinical research were indistinguishable from the MDs.
Make it seem like the DO's you've come into contact with are extraordinary and totally lead you to wanting to become a DO just like them.

Reactions: igor_raptor
Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Well if you have not seen OMM that you just have not seen it, but I would suggest going to and finding one who practices it stat.