How to ask a dentist to save teeth for you...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lopyswine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay,
I just need some quick advice. Is it acceptable to call dentists and ask if they are willing to save extracted teeth for you. If they say yes, you can drive over and give them a jar.

The other option is to, of course, go in person. This will be take much more time, but probably get better results.

Which do you guys recommend?

My next question:
If you do decide to go in person, how did you dress, and did you bring the jar with you?

I really over think EVERYTHING, so these questions have been on my mind for a few days now. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Mario

Members don't see this ad.

I would think that if you showed up in person, dressed professionally, and asked nicely that you would get a positive response. Its not as if they didn't all go to dental school. There may be a few jerks, but I would bet that you will get many more who are willing to help a lowly DS.

Go to your regular dentist and ask them which oral surgeon they normally refer people to. Call up that office and say that you are a dental student and that your dentist, <name goes here>, told you to give that office a call about collecting teeth. The receptionist will talk to the oral surgeon and the oral surgeon will know what the deal is. Ask if you need to bring in a jar (probably will have to) or just tell them you will.

I used a plastic mayo jar with the label removed. The lid was a screw-in lid so there's no chance of it coming off. I know everyone here says 10 water to 1 bleach but I emailed my operative professor and she said 25% bleach (3:1) so I went with that.

And as long as you schedule a day/time to meet up and deliver the jar, you don't need to dress up for it. That's overkill.

Also, make sure you need to collect teeth for school. Not every school wants you to do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you ask you're general dentist, I'm 99% sure that he/she will gladly save teeth for you, aftreall he/she more than likely had to to the same thing for d-school too. Likewise, I'm sure and oral surgeon would help you out too. Just politely ask, and at the same time it might not be a bad thing to ask if you could spend a day or two in that office watching procedures too.

I recommend Streetwolf's suggestion with one change: Go to the periodontist your dentist refers to rather than the OMFS. You have a better shot at getting teeth still in good shape and not bombed out with caries. Oh yeah, one more thing, if you can add glycerin to your jar, your teeth will not become as brittle (The last thing you want is a vertical split as soon as you begin to gain access on an endo practical.)

where does one get glycerin?

You can get glycerin at Wal-Mart (or pharmacy). I got a 6 oz. bottle for about $2.50. I currently have my jar at an OMFS. It's probably overkill considering I start D1 in the Fall and will not need them until D2...oh well.

It was recommended to me to do 1/3 glycerin, 1/3 bleach, 1/3 water and I used a mayo jar and taped my name and phone number in addition to what I wanted (teeth - all kinds, especially with straight roots) using clear packing tape.

I asked several dentists and they all recommended their OMFS - and all were willing to collect for me. They should be nice to you!

I send out about 200 quality teeth a year. I don't mind saving teeth and I know most dentists wouldn't either. You just nee to ask.

The best teeth are ones lost due to perio. Find out who does the most dentures in the are and ask him/her for the teeth.

Stop worrying and just ask. Everyone has to go through collecting them and they understand that. The worst they can do is say "no". I would advise storing in very light bleach. Too much will dissolve the teeth.