how to ask a lor to a dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Huskymom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m a pre dent student and during this semester, I shadowed two dentists in a clinic roughly over 100 hours.
when one dentist was too busy or a patient did not want a shadowing student, I went to the other dentist and shadowed. The two dentists were very nice and they always greeted me kindly whenever I visited their office. On my last shadowing day, the office was very busy and I couldn't ask for lor.

I emailed one of the dentists politely but it looks like the email was never opened. What should I do? Would it be okay to call or visit the office although my shadowing is over?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would go to the office and ask for the LOR face to face to both of them, and decide whose to use depending on their reactions.

Don't be frustrated. The situation is not uncommon and totally understandable. You might have sent the email to a wrong address or they never checked the email, or if they did, they were busy at the moment and forgot about it later (which is likely the case).

Writing a LOR is also considered to be a burden by some people (it does take time). Get your CV, PS and a stength essay (which can be copied and pasted to the LOR) ready for them, to make their work easier.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I’m a pre dent student and during this semester, I shadowed two dentists in a clinic roughly over 100 hours.
when one dentist was too busy or a patient did not want a shadowing student, I went to the Other dentist and shadowed. The two dentists were very nice although it looked like they did not remember my name. But they knew my face, and always greeted me kindly whenever I visited their office. On my last day of shadowing, I prepared thank you cards not only for dentists, but also for dental assistants who greatly helped me during my shadowing days.

After shadowing 8 hours on my last day, I waited till there’s no patients in the clinic at the end of the day, and gave them thank you cards and I was ABT to ask LOR. But the dentists asked me to wait 10 mins, so I waited in the hallway. After hearing no words for 30 mins, I finally knocked the doors, the dentist came out of the office, fully ready to go home. And there they gave me kind words and they went.. home. I did not have enough time to finish the sentence ”can I ask for...”

I felt so dumb because I wasn’t able to ask them. Maybe I shouldn’t have waited till the end. I thought they were so busy that day, so if I wait till the end of the day, they would be able to give me at least a minute to ask.

The next day, I emailed one dentist very politely whether she could write me an lor on my behalf. There’s no reply for abt two weeks now. I sent a follow-up email but still, there’s no news from her. Considering that the past two weeks were busy due to Thanksgiving, should I email both of them this time?? Or Should I just go to the office and ask to see either of the dentists?

I’m taking senior classes next semester and taking DAT this winter, so I won’t have time to shadow another dentist. What should I do? I know this situation is not the worst, but I feel really frustrated.

When I asked for a LOR I created a huge packet filled with my personal statement, extracurriculars, grades, DAT, and a section with descriptions on qualities / activities I'd like them to include or emphasize in their letter. All of this was created to paint a better picture for the dentists to write their letter, and effectively write the letter for them. They've been through dental school and further training - they are familiar with how this process goes! Don't be afraid to go in person and just politely explain you are applying and would appreciate if they could write you a letter. Then let them know a packet with all your information (above) will be forthcoming. Most likely they'll be happy to write it for you.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
The email address that I had for my dental office was checked only by the front desk people (not by the dentist himself) so if that's the case it is possible it could have gotten lost in the other emails and the dentist never saw it. I was fortunate enough to have the dentist that I shadowed personal phone number so I called him up on that and let him know when I sent a request for the letter of rec, but if you don't have that option I agree going in again face-to-face would be the best! You could also try and get in like 2 more sessions of shadowing-- maybe just say "hey I had some extra hours during my winter break and was wondering if I could come back a few more times just to keep my eyes and experiences active" and ask then!

Reactions: 1 user