How to ask schools to double-dip me into the MD-applicant pool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daredevil101

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm looking to also apply to the MD program of everywhere I apply MD-PhD to, but I want to ensure that both MD and MD-PhD committees are reviewing around the same time/ that a late rejection of the MD-PhD application won't push toss my application back in the MD pool way too late, where there are fewer slots for interviews.
On the document attached, for the schools that have no:
1) Will it look bad to MDPHD adcoms if I email them asking if my application can also be considered for their MD program?
2) Will it look bad to MD adcoms if I email them asking if my application can also be considered for their MD program?

For the schools that have yes or case by case:
3) For either of the above requests, would it be somehow possible to request that the MD application is also considered with priority? Or to ask if they only consider for MD after a MDPHD rejection, so I can prepare accordingly to late MD responses?

My rationale is that I want to be in graduate school next year, MD or MD-PhD, and I do not want MD-PhD to reduce my chances at MD as well.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2019-individual-md-phd-program-info-prospective-applicants-table.pdf
    186.3 KB · Views: 142
Hello!
I'm looking to also apply to the MD program of everywhere I apply MD-PhD to, but I want to ensure that both MD and MD-PhD committees are reviewing around the same time/ that a late rejection of the MD-PhD application won't push toss my application back in the MD pool way too late, where there are fewer slots for interviews.
1) Will it look bad to MDPHD adcoms if I email them asking if my application can also be considered for their MD program?
2) Will it look bad to MD adcoms if I email them asking if my application can also be considered for their MD program?

3) For either of the above requests, would it be somehow possible to request that the MD application is also considered with priority? Or to ask if they only consider for MD after a MDPHD rejection, so I can prepare accordingly to late MD responses?

My rationale is that I want to be in graduate school next year, MD or MD-PhD, and I do not want MD-PhD to reduce my chances at MD as well.

Thank you!
Almost every program has their policy for this clearly on their website (sometimes buried in the FAQs). Don’t bother them unless their website is unclear. And if their website says no, don’t ask for an exception, you’ll obviously just piss them off

Reactions: 2 users
Keep in mind that State schools for MD-only have mandates regarding state-residency of applicants. The majority of MD/PhD programs are special programs that are NOT bound to these mandates. In Texas, MD-only applications are based on TMDSAS (state residency matters), whereas MD/PhD applications are entirely separate process via AMCAS applications (state residency does NOT matter).

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

Thank you!
1) Most schools have their specific policies on their websites, as mentioned above. However, unless the school does simultaneous consideration like Harvard or WUSTL, they are almost always only allowing consideration after MD/PhD rejection. I would personally not reach out to any program for MD only consideration while still actively under MD/PhD consideration as that will send the clear message that your heart is not in it for this path. At least that would be my interpretation. Remember, even if you would rather get the MD than wait another year to reapply, you should still only be applying MD/PhD if you want MD/PhD.

2) Again, depending on the program, you may already be under consideration. Read their website and follow their policies. Ask clarifying questions only if it isn’t clear on their website, although most are. Also, as @Fencer has stated, some schools will have different MD only factors than considered for MD/PhD (see OHSU as an example of drastically different MD only v. MD/PhD).

3) Again, their website will have this. Look under FAQ or the admissions page. Or Google “School name MD/PhD MD consideration”. If they don’t list it there then you could ask as well, or just wait until you get a rejection and then ask. If they consider MD simultaneously with MD/PhD, they almost certainly lit it on their website. If they don’t list it on their website, it almost certainly isn’t dual consideration and (as above) will be more likely to hurt your MD/PhD application if you ask about it.

For when the inevitable time does come to ask for MD-only consideration, you can use something like the following:

“I have recently been informed that I have not been selected to move forward within the MD/PhD application process, however I am still extraordinarily interested in (school name) as an institution to pursue my medical education. I would like to request my application file be considered for admission under the MD program. “

Although you could certainly be more succinct as well.

Reactions: 1 user