How to assimilate Kaplan Qbank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPicard

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going through the Kaplan Qbank right now, subject wise, and am wondering how to pick out relevant details to consolidate into FA. A lot of their conceptual explanations seem solid, so there's no confusion there. But then there's stuff like this question on the composition of semen where Kaplan started talking about all its components along with 5+ functions of each. Ended up being a full 2 pages, and I can't imagine all of that being relevant to the USMLE.

Another example: FA lists a short explanation of pyruvate dehydrogenase deficiency. Kaplan mentions pyruvate decarboxylase deficiency in some of their answer explanations, but then goes onto list its 3 subtypes and their specifics.

How do I go about choosing what I consolidate into FA? I'm particularly curious what guys who used Kaplan and scored well on the exam have to say about this. Did you guys write in everything? Or did you focus more on conceptual clues or completely new disease conditions etc, and leave out extra symptoms to diseases already well covered in FA?

@Phloston
@plasmodium

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan is very low-yield compared to UWorld. I wouldn't consolidate anything that isn't big picture from it and instead focus on UWorld, Pathoma, Goljan, and Sketchy for your consolidation efforts.

So I'm going through the Kaplan Qbank right now, subject wise, and am wondering how to pick out relevant details to consolidate into FA. A lot of their conceptual explanations seem solid, so there's no confusion there. But then there's stuff like this question on the composition of semen where Kaplan started talking about all its components along with 5+ functions of each. Ended up being a full 2 pages, and I can't imagine all of that being relevant to the USMLE.

Another example: FA lists a short explanation of pyruvate dehydrogenase deficiency. Kaplan mentions pyruvate decarboxylase deficiency in some of their answer explanations, but then goes onto list its 3 subtypes and their specifics.

How do I go about choosing what I consolidate into FA? I'm particularly curious what guys who used Kaplan and scored well on the exam have to say about this. Did you guys write in everything? Or did you focus more on conceptual clues or completely new disease conditions etc, and leave out extra symptoms to diseases already well covered in FA?

@Phloston
@plasmodium

thanks!
Kaplan QBank was the first QBank that I completed, along with USMLE Rx (which I didn't complete because it was absolute garbage and I found it to be a waste of money after completing ~60% of the QBank). I primarily used PDFs and digital annotation techniques, and I would usually annotate most of the main explanation into First Aid (to save time I rarely read the wrong answer explanations). Many of Kaplan's explanations overlapped with UWorld, so by the time I began UWorld there were certain topics that I didn't have to annotate more than a line or two into FA since I had already covered it with Kaplan.

I think it is a farce that students are running around the internet saying that Kaplan QBank is full of "minutiae" and unimportant. I loved this QBank and considered it to be a great "warmup" to UWorld, so to speak. It is a shame that so many people hopped on this anti-Kaplan bandwagon because there are certain sections that are quite impressively covered by Kaplan. My step 1 form had plenty of questions covering "minutiae," some of which weren't covered by the review books. The more adapt you become with handling seemingly foreign questions on topics you've never seen before, the better prepared you will be to answer these types of questions when they appear on step 1 (because they do appear on step 1). In other words, on step 1 you will see questions on topics you've never seen before. The same goes for Kaplan QBank and, in my experience, Kaplan prepares you quite well for these types of questions. Whether or not the "minutiae" and low-yield detail covered in Kaplan shows up on the real exam is irrelevant; preparing students to tackle seemingly alien questions is where Kaplan excels.

As far as "what" to annotate, that is completely up to you. Some people don't annotate at all and still receive great scores. I'm personally the type of student who likes to read and become familiar with as much material as possible, and so I never discriminated between concepts and facts based on whether they were "high-" or "low-yield". I think this "high-yield" notion is a silly trend, and more geared toward students who are worried about passing, rather than achieving scores on the higher end of the spectrum. Therefore, I might not be the best person to ask if you are one who prefers to keep their knowledge base concise. If you are trying to score >96th percentile on an exam like step 1, all of the information that is presented during MS1/MS2 and dedicated is important in one way or another.

The only section in Kaplan QBank that I would say that turned out to be "low-yield" was the Public Health section. However, this section was added after I had already completed the QBank, and so once I discovered that these questions had been added I was merely doing a few questions from this section per night leading up to my exam. Yet, nothing I saw in these questions (i.e. medical errors) showed up on my exam. Take what I say with a grain of salt, however, as every step 1 exam form is different and you may get questions on this topic.
Kaplan is very low-yield compared to UWorld. I wouldn't consolidate anything that isn't big picture from it and instead focus on UWorld, Pathoma, Goljan, and Sketchy for your consolidation efforts.
Step 1 has become quite a "low-yield" exam if you are aiming to score >260. Unless you've taken the exam I would advise that you be very careful telling others to avoid "low-yield" topics. Plenty of concepts that weren't in any review sources showed up on my exam. In my opinion, it certainly takes more than Sketchy and Pathoma to secure a strong probability (there are no certainties with step 1) of being in the >260 range.

There is no "right" or "wrong" way to study for step 1. Everyone has to create and follow their own unique path for their own journey. You must discover what works best for you and commit to it. Don't worry yourself too much with what others have done, how they annotated, or what resources they found worked for them. Take everything you read with a grain of salt and devise your own strategy. After completing ~50% of Kaplan QBank you should have a good idea of what is important for you to take out of each question and what isn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
To be honest, I tried the Kaplan Qbook and I absolutely destroyed that, I thought it was too easy so I thought that the Qbank would be the same. I'm more than halfway done with it and I can agree with the above that it's really good prep for uworld if you've never encountered "scenario-based" questions before.
The explanations can be a little too focused on minutiae there's no doubt about that, BUT! You don't have to annotate everything.
Here's what I do
If I answer correctly, I go through the "ReKaps" on the side to check that I got the question right for the right reason and it wasn't just a fluke. If it's wrong I go through the explanation and try to summarise it in one or two lines. But I find myself rarely annotating stuff onto FA, honestly I've annotated more from BRS physio than Kaptest.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What was on your test is HY and everything else low yield but there is no way of finding that out before the test !
Having said that there are certain topics which you must know before going for the test.

I used Kaplan QBank (1 full round, 1 round of incorrects) in the middle 1/3 of my prep. It was useful just to get more "at-bats" in terms of practice questions to hone my technique.

So, after RX, I am planning to finish UWorld first, then go for Kaplan Qbank. That way I won't have to annotate or spend time on stuff that I've already covered in UWorld. Hopefully this will save some time.
How does this strategy sound?

So, after RX, I am planning to finish UWorld first, then go for Kaplan Qbank. That way I won't have to annotate or spend time on stuff that I've already covered in UWorld. Hopefully this will save some time.
How does this strategy sound?

I don't think that's the best way to go by it. Skip Rx, do Kaplan then Uworld. IMO there's no point doing anything after doing Uworld. All the high yield stuff is in there.

Already (almost) finished RX. Learned quite a lot from it by the way. I wouldn't get a word of FA had I not combined RX with it.
Anyway, so in that case, how about I just do UWorld and throw some kaplan questions in between it. Like 5 days for UWorld and 2 days for kaplan per week?
The thing is, I am a slow learner. Take a lot of time to absorb what I study. So I don't wanna delay starting UWorld.

Then stop everything you're doing and start uworld!

Reactions: 1 user
Already (almost) finished RX. Learned quite a lot from it by the way. I wouldn't get a word of FA had I not combined RX with it.
Anyway, so in that case, how about I just do UWorld and throw some kaplan questions in between it. Like 5 days for UWorld and 2 days for kaplan per week?
The thing is, I am a slow learner. Take a lot of time to absorb what I study. So I don't wanna delay starting UWorld.
Sounds like a good plan.
Doing more unique questions is always better.

Reactions: 1 user
Any recent test takers that think Kaplan Qbank is a useful source for step 1, if the aim is to score well above average ? Your feedback will be highly appreciated !