How to avoid getting tired and staying focused?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BaseballFan1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you drink coffee before practice exams or something?

Members don't see this ad.

This is what I did:

Full night's rest beforehand. Light, decent breakfast (I had a waffle and orange juice)

Granola bars and sports drink between each section. Before the writing section I took an energy shot (something without niacin to avoid skin flush) and that lasted me through the end.

To my surprise I had no issues of burning out or losing attention during the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Coffee + that break on the 7th day. And that brief feeling of satisfaction of completing your day's studying (I review first because after seeing all my dumb mistakes from the day before I become more motivated to study) :)

Have you guys tried any of these, what did work best for you?

Starbucks coffee energy drink
Redbull
5-hour energy
Regular coffee

I'm not sure what I should drink on the test day. 5-hour energy works well for me except that I have hard time breathing after I drink it. How does Redbull work for you. Any caffeine-related dehydration problem that leads you to lose focus during tests?

I'd only drink coffee if you're used to drinking coffee.

One of the ways to stay focused is to build up your test taking endurance by taking tons of timed practice passages.

Add neurosonic to the list too, It's probably a marketing ploy or something, but It helped me get through the grueling 5 hours without a loss of energy. Maybe it's a placebo effect, but hey, whatever works. And also, get in the "zone" when your doing the practice tests and passages. Focusing is a mental thing too.

I wouldnt overindulge in any energy drinks or coffee, though. Nothing replaces a good night's (or good day's rest for break days) rest. Also, repeat stimulation of receptors causes receptor downregulation and the drinks lose their effect.

Also remember coffee inhibits ADH which will increase your urine volume. Can my bladder develop insensitivity too? I don't want to wet my pants during the actual test, though it may happen anyway.

Also remember coffee inhibits ADH which will increase your urine volume. Can my bladder develop insensitivity too? I don't want to wet my pants during the actual test, though it may happen anyway.

Hahaha alcohol does too, so dont get drunk before you study either!

I wouldn't suggest any energy drinks. You're already going to be anxious enough, and energy drinks will make you jittery and more likely to lose your composure at the first sign of trouble. I drank gatorade today between breaks, and that kept be plenty focused.

LOL I had two hot dogs before the test, wouldn't recommend that.

Have you guys tried any of these, what did work best for you?

Starbucks coffee energy drink
Redbull
5-hour energy
Regular coffee

I'm not sure what I should drink on the test day. 5-hour energy works well for me except that I have hard time breathing after I drink it. How does Redbull work for you. Any caffeine-related dehydration problem that leads you to lose focus during tests?

I drank two sugar-free Red Bulls over the course of every exam. I got a little jittery after the second one, but since I drank them during my practice exams I knew to expect that for the real deal.