How to avoid looking like I'm just checking boxes at this point?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medi$inei$mypa$$ion

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for asking so many questions recently; I'm applying next year and it hit me that I'm applying in a year (hopefully)!! (Also sorry this post is kinda long)

I'm going to save y'all the story, but basically I had to take on a huge responsibility in my family, which basically took up my sophomore year to adjust to that, my job, a club I really enjoy, and research (on top of classes).

Freshman year, I volunteered at a hospital from January to August, getting 116 hours. Then I had to become my mom's caretaker and decided to stop volunteering because the school semester was starting again. I was scared I wouldn't be able to handle it all. I wanted to restart volunteering at a hospital and volunteering in a soup kitchen my second semester of sophomore year because I figured out how to balance it all, when my boss asked me if I'd like to do research in her lab, which I accepted because I had been considering doing research with/instead of medicine. So, I began doing research for ~10+ hours a week, held a part-time job, was my mom's caretaker, and I took on a project with my club. My time was slim and I wasn't able to dedicate time to volunteering, because I needed the weekends to study and catch up.

Anyway, now it's summer and I started volunteering in a new hospital, and I'm starting volunteering in a soup kitchen, where I expect to give at least 4 hours a week. I'm confident I can sustain all my activities for the rest of the year because I structured my class schedule *perfectly.* Furthermore, my research has hit a wall and if my PI and I can't workout a new project, I might quit research after only ~7 months... which looks very sketchy. Now my concern is that I overall look like I'm uncommitted to my community and my projects, and that I just did things to check off boxes.

How do I convey to adcoms that I wasn't just checking boxes? I can talk passionately about my activities in an interview, but if they just look at my ECs, I'm worried they wouldn't give me a chance.

Members don't see this ad.

Why must it be a tony award winning performance in fakery to get into med school? They have boxes they expect you to have checked... so check them.

Reactions: 1 user