How to avoid silly mistakes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarkHorizon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I have been studying like crazy and my recent practice scores show the work. However, I am still unable to cross that 30 barrier because I make some really stupid mistakes. I am mainly concerned about my inability to stay focused in BS and PS. Recently, I scored a 28 in AAMC 7. Going over it afterwards, I realized that I missed at least 5 questions in PS due to misreading/less of concentration, and at least 4 in BS. The score would have been 31 had I read the question properly. I even mismarked 3 answers. So as you can see, I am very worried that this might carry over to the test day. Anyone feels the same way? Anybody who overcame this lack of concentration issue got any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Red Bull (R) Energy Drink : Improves performance especially during times of increased stress or strain - increases endurance - increases concentration and improves reaction speed - stimulates the metabolism

Chug one of these, seems to work for me :p

use energy drinks with caution. The high caffeine/sugar content can cause you to crash, and will certainly put pressure on your bladder.

I just wouldn't use energy drinks. The only way you can improve focusing is to actually practice focusing.

IMHO, when you're not writing MCAT's, I'd read stuff from the Wall Street Journal, The New Yorker, etc. Some people think this is stupid, but for me it has been a blessing. I, too, have a very difficult time concentrating. At first I tried to blame it on ADHD or something like that, but then I realized there is no way I have ADHD or ADD because I absolutely don't exhibit the symptoms. Then I just came to the conclusion I was a lazy *** and took advantage of the fact that I could do well in school without really doing much reading, and it came back to bite me in the *** for my MCAT prep--it was very slow starting and I'm still struggling to improve VR.

Reading, non-stop, for 30-45 minutes at a time really makes it much easier to read for 1-4 minutes on a passage and then answer questions, IMHO. Not only that, but I'm reading faster and that helps me tremendously in BS and VR (although my VR is still in the 8-10 range on my last few practice tests).

Members don't see this ad :)
Caffeine can also cause indecisiveness, so watch out. Unless you normally drink a coffee every day, and your body has accustomed to the caffeine, be very wary of doing so nearer to test day.

Silly mistakes are everyone's downfall. I made one on BS and it is reflected in my score. You just have to try and be as vigilant as possible, and when you do make a silly mistake, do not just pass it off as 'Ah crap! A silly mistake!'. Something happened in your thought process that cause you to make that mistake, and that means that it could happen again. Analyze what happened when you were doing the problem.

i don't know. i have the test in...ill be taking it in 12 hours!! holy crap. i'm going now to buy some energy BARS, not drinks. to eat during breaks...prolly not 1st break after physics but after verbal...

also i'm buying powerade. powerade would be better than redbull since it wont make you go crazy. also better than caffeine since it wont make you piss as much. also better than water id say cuz the electrolytes should retain more water so you dont have to piss as much!

i don't know. i have the test in...ill be taking it in 12 hours!! holy crap. i'm going now to buy some energy BARS, not drinks. to eat during breaks...prolly not 1st break after physics but after verbal...

also i'm buying powerade. powerade would be better than redbull since it wont make you go crazy. also better than caffeine since it wont make you piss as much. also better than water id say cuz the electrolytes should retain more water so you dont have to piss as much![/quote]

I don't think so, actually, since you're basically just increasing both plasma osmolarity and blood volume, for which the appropriate homeostatic response is urination of fluid that matches the osmolarity of fluid consumed. Not completely sure though.

Edit: oh, but nvm you're right, it's better than just drinking water.