How to balance life and MCAT studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

This is probably a stupid question. How have you been able to balance studying with your summer life?

IDEAL Day: I try to study for the MCAT 8 hrs a day and I thought it'd be simple enough. Get up at 7, hit up the library from 8-12, have lunch, then study 1-5. Go workout after, see the girlfriend, etc, get to bed by 11 and do it again.

ACTUAL Day: I wake up at 10am because I was idiotically out til 4am....I stumble into the kitchen and get some food...hit up the library by 12 and study til 3. Then my research professor calls and I end up doing research for 3 hours and can't study. By now the library is close, so I head home and eat dinner. By now it's 8pm and I told the girlfriend we'd go to a movie, so we do that and after I plan on going home but noooo she talks me into going over til 3am again.

I feel like a ****ing idiot....I am pissing away my life by having fun after a hard semester. I have 6 weeks til the MCAT and I'm changing everything starting tomorrow. Stayed in tonight to study while girlfriend went out to a party etc...

/RANT

How have you guys been handling this? I am usually so dedicated but ever since finals I've been a joke...makes me disgusted of myself!

Members don't see this ad.

8 hours/day studying is a lot man. Cut yourself some slack. Try doing that 3-4 days/week and something a little more humane the rest of the time, if you really feel like you want to kill yourself some days.

It hard to balance between social life and MCAT, but you have to realize that it will be only a few months out of your life and after that you are done. U need to make your girl friend understand how much study time is needed for the test and hopefully she will understand. Good luck and keep focused!

Members don't see this ad :)
8 hours/day studying is a lot man. Cut yourself some slack. Try doing that 3-4 days/week and something a little more humane the rest of the time, if you really feel like you want to kill yourself some days.

Great idea- I did it a few days and was FRIED. To the point where I couldn't absorb stuff. I'll have 3-4 hard days and then some medium days or some break days, thanks!!

It hard to balance between social life and MCAT, but you have to realize that it will be only a few months out of your life and after that you are done. U need to make your girl friend understand how much study time is needed for the test and hopefully she will understand. Good luck and keep focused!

She is really understanding (pre med too) and won't get mad, I just give into the temptation of going to have fun instead of studying. My own fault for sure.

I totally agree with you- a few months of sacrifice are DEFINITELY worth it. I am just telling myself that the rewards of me buckling down for this will pay off over my whole life. Thanks for the tips!!

Have you ever given yourself any break days? It sounds like you're burned out.

No I haven't..I feel like a robot and am getting more inefficient each day. I did slack hard today and feel as if my brain re booted...

Great point- no matter how "hardcore" i think I am EVERYONE needs a break sometimes

Have you ever given yourself any break days? It sounds like you're burned out.

I just looked at your Study Schedule...it's amazing! I made a modified version of it and am using it to keep me on track. I have til june 18th, perhaps beginning of July if I move it.

Time to stop making excuses and being scared...I am just going to go all out and have no regrets. If I mess up I mess up...but I'm going to walk into that test knowing I worked my butt off daily. Thanks so much guys

No I haven't..I feel like a robot and am getting more inefficient each day. I did slack hard today and feel as if my brain re booted...

You're definitely burned out. Before you do anything else, take 3 days off. Don't do ANYTHING MCAT related. No flashcards, no checking equations, no reading review books, NOTHING. If you don't, you will continue to slide further and further.

Glad you like my schedule.

I studied 6 hours/day for 3 months straight. I took a week off for spring break and forgot all about my MCAT. It was real nice break.

During the typical week, while I would study ~6 hours/day, I would still go out a few nights a week. I would usually go out Thursday and Saturday. I would only take those 2 NIGHTS off, though. I would study during the day that way I felt accomplished enough to go out. Once I got within ~5 weeks of my MCAT, I stopped going out all together and just studied. I still took breaks, though, but simply didn't use my breaks to go out and drink haha. I would take a night off and watch a movie so that way I can still wake up early the next day and study all day.

About 2 weeks before my actual test, I was starting to feel real burned out. I couldn't study anymore and my practice scores were a lil lower. I took a few days off, as ppl on here recommended to me, and then when I returned to studying with about 1.5 weeks left, I started up again really focused. It was both the break and realization my MCAT was like a week ago that made me finish up my studying.

So, moral of the story, make sure to take breaks.

Burn yourself out. Take a practice test. Score high 30s. Feel good. Rest for a week. Come back to it.

Great idea- I did it a few days and was FRIED. To the point where I couldn't absorb stuff. I'll have 3-4 hard days and then some medium days or some break days, thanks!!
NP man. Good luck with the studying.

BTW, I went on vacation to Alaska like 10 years ago and it is one of my all time favorite vacation spots. Way to represent.

God, I wish I knew how to study and manage my life. I'm taking the same test date as you, I think, and I am NOT prepared yet. My practice scores are good, but not where they need to be. AND I'm still in the midst of finals. I'm hoping to get started with full energy at the end of this week with my serious studying (I've been studying all this semester, but not really focused).

It seems like your scores are good from what you've said in the June 18th post, so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

I just looked at your Study Schedule...it's amazing! I made a modified version of it and am using it to keep me on track. I have til june 18th, perhaps beginning of July if I move it.

Time to stop making excuses and being scared...I am just going to go all out and have no regrets. If I mess up I mess up...but I'm going to walk into that test knowing I worked my butt off daily. Thanks so much guys

I feel you on the nervous part. I'm nervous as hell to take the exam. Wasn't your diagnostic like a 33 though?

You're definitely burned out. Before you do anything else, take 3 days off. Don't do ANYTHING MCAT related. No flashcards, no checking equations, no reading review books, NOTHING. If you don't, you will continue to slide further and further.

Glad you like my schedule.

I completely agree with this. Breaks are underrated among pre-meds, but they are absolutely necessary. Enjoy the next 3 days with your gf and come back to it recharged and ready to go. You deserve it after your semester anyway. ;) Good luck, man.

This is probably a stupid question. How have you been able to balance studying with your summer life?

IDEAL Day: I try to study for the MCAT 8 hrs a day and I thought it'd be simple enough. Get up at 7, hit up the library from 8-12, have lunch, then study 1-5. Go workout after, see the girlfriend, etc, get to bed by 11 and do it again.

ACTUAL Day: I wake up at 10am because I was idiotically out til 4am....I stumble into the kitchen and get some food...hit up the library by 12 and study til 3. Then my research professor calls and I end up doing research for 3 hours and can't study. By now the library is close, so I head home and eat dinner. By now it's 8pm and I told the girlfriend we'd go to a movie, so we do that and after I plan on going home but noooo she talks me into going over til 3am again.

I feel like a ****ing idiot....I am pissing away my life by having fun after a hard semester. I have 6 weeks til the MCAT and I'm changing everything starting tomorrow. Stayed in tonight to study while girlfriend went out to a party etc...

/RANT

How have you guys been handling this? I am usually so dedicated but ever since finals I've been a joke...makes me disgusted of myself!

LOL I totally understand where you're coming from. I finished finals about two weeks ago after a pretty tough semester and was dreading going through the whole study phase all over again. I only had a few days break and started working full time last monday. I kinda have to do work terms as part of my program so I can't really get out of it. I've started going through the material last week but was burned out cause it seemed it was all I was doing (e.g. during breaks at work, during my commute, at home in the evenings) so I ended up taking the weekend off (not purposely but circumstances made it so) and I think it was a good thing. I feel like my head got a chance to clear up and now I can start tackling this thing all over again. Bottom line, make sure to take some time off every now and again to appreciate life around you. And in turn, you will often find that it will motivate you to continue. My theory is this: "work hard. play hard." So just remind yourself that once this is all over, you can enjoy your summer and feel like you've accomplished something :)

Best of luck!

/RANT

LOL I totally understand where you're coming from. I finished finals about two weeks ago after a pretty tough semester and was dreading going through the whole study phase all over again. I only had a few days break and started working full time last monday. I kinda have to do work terms as part of my program so I can't really get out of it. I've started going through the material last week but was burned out cause it seemed it was all I was doing (e.g. during breaks at work, during my commute, at home in the evenings) so I ended up taking the weekend off (not purposely but circumstances made it so) and I think it was a good thing. I feel like my head got a chance to clear up and now I can start tackling this thing all over again. Bottom line, make sure to take some time off every now and again to appreciate life around you. And in turn, you will often find that it will motivate you to continue. My theory is this: "work hard. play hard." So just remind yourself that once this is all over, you can enjoy your summer and feel like you've accomplished something :)

Best of luck!

/RANT

Best of luck!

Best of luck!

Work hard play hard...indeed. Got up early to day to study. Then going to get a 30 min run in before I have to go volunteer more at the hospital. Then see the girlfriend briefly then study til midnight and do it all again tomorrow.

I find doing 4 hrs of studying in the morning and 2 hours before bed is pretty doable

Work hard play hard...indeed. Got up early to day to study. Then going to get a 30 min run in before I have to go volunteer more at the hospital. Then see the girlfriend briefly then study til midnight and do it all again tomorrow.

I find doing 4 hrs of studying in the morning and 2 hours before bed is pretty doable

That sounds way more reasonable than what you were trying to do before.

That sounds way more reasonable than what you were trying to do before.

It's much better for sure. I can get up and spend 8-12 studying, go have fun, and then get another 1-2 hours in before bed. Hell, I can even go out if I space things out right...but with 5 ish weeks to go I'm trying to keep a pretty strict routine.

Just my $0.02, but I don't recommend going through a divorce while simultaneously caring for a toddler and studying for the MCAT - I think there have been a couple of threads already posted on this:rolleyes:. On the bright side, the little stinker (the toddler, not the soon-to-be-ex-husband) is toilet-training and can now recite the flow of urine from the kidney to the toilet, so maybe all those bucks spent on Kaplan will be worth it after all.

Go get a beer (or whatever else floats your boat), kiddo. Have fun while you can, as this amusement park ride called life only gets more amusing... ;) You're going to knock 'em dead, relax.

Just my $0.02, but I don't recommend going through a divorce while simultaneously caring for a toddler and studying for the MCAT - I think there have been a couple of threads already posted on this:rolleyes:. On the bright side, the little stinker (the toddler, not the soon-to-be-ex-husband) is toilet-training and can now recite the flow of urine from the kidney to the toilet, so maybe all those bucks spent on Kaplan will be worth it after all.

Go get a beer (or whatever else floats your boat), kiddo. Have fun while you can, as this amusement park ride called life only gets more amusing... ;) You're going to knock 'em dead, relax.

My new schedule allows me to get in 6 good hrs of studying with time for friends/gf/gym/ etc. I'm also trying to put less pressure on myself.

If I get 30+ I get in med school in all likelihood. If not, I take a year off bettering myself + I get an extra year with good friends I have here. Either way I'm 21 and have plenty of time.

Good advice thx!