How to be a clinical pharmacist in U.S. ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future Pharmacist1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi alll,
I am an international pharmacy student studying in middle east. I am in BS in clinical pharmacy. To cut short my dream is to be a clinical pharmacist with international accreditations such as the ASHP.
How to get into a PGY 1 residency after I graduate from pharmacy school? ( knowing that my university is not ACPE accredited) Do I have to enroll into a Pharm D postgraduate program in U.S. ?
Help is highly appreciated especially if from international students with similar situations!
Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, if you are in a BS program, it will not be recognized in the US. You will have to enroll starting completely new, in a Pharm D program in the US (or an equivalent program in another country.)

I'd focus on becoming a licensed pharmacist in the US first. The title of clinical rph is very subjective, I've seen pharmacist who give out free blood pressure screenings call themselves clinical rph

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, if you are in a BS program, it will not be recognized in the US. You will have to enroll starting completely new, in a Pharm D program in the US (or an equivalent program in another country.)

I do not think so! I think there are postgrad studies and qualifcation exams!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'd focus on becoming a licensed pharmacist in the US first. The title of clinical rph is very subjective, I've seen pharmacist who give out free blood pressure screenings call themselves clinical rph

Sorry i do not get ? Can you elaborate please :)

Sorry i do not get ? Can you elaborate please :)

In the US, the duties and title of a clinical pharmacist are not well definied, meaning that everyone who has a license has same rights and priviliages in practice (there are some exceptions like certain states have advanced pharmacy practioner title but those are very new and rare). In other words, perhaps your country has a more defined role/title of a clinical pharmacist. In my opinion the US does not have that... again, focus on becoming a pharmacist in the US and then go from there

I do not think so! I think there are postgrad studies and qualifcation exams!

Wrong. In order to take any qualifying exam, you MUST have a Pharm D or equivalent. You can learn all the requirements to getting certified to get a pharmacy license, if you graduated from a foreign college of pharmacy here:

FPGEC | National Association of Boards of Pharmacy

Minimum Curriculum Length
  • Four-Year Degree: If you were issued a pharmacy degree prior to January 1, 2003, you must have completed a minimum four-year pharmacy curriculum at the time of graduation.
  • Five-Year Degree: If you were issued a pharmacy degree on or after January 1, 2003, you must have completed a minimum five-year pharmacy curriculum at the time of graduation.

Wrong. In order to take any qualifying exam, you MUST have a Pharm D or equivalent. You can learn all the requirements to getting certified to get a pharmacy license, if you graduated from a foreign college of pharmacy here:

FPGEC | National Association of Boards of Pharmacy

Minimum Curriculum Length
  • Four-Year Degree: If you were issued a pharmacy degree prior to January 1, 2003, you must have completed a minimum four-year pharmacy curriculum at the time of graduation.
  • Five-Year Degree: If you were issued a pharmacy degree on or after January 1, 2003, you must have completed a minimum five-year pharmacy curriculum at the time of graduation.

I really can not find what you are stating about having a minimum of pharmD for eligibility to FPGEE!

If i want to pursue a post-graduate pharmD, is there such option?

I really can not find what you are stating about having a minimum of pharmD for eligibility to FPGEE!

there are options for a post -graduate pharmD - one popular one I know is at University of Florida - I know a couple of people who did theirs

Reactions: 2 users

You are required to have a PharmD or "equivalent" which is not a BS, this is the "Five-Year Degree: If you were issued a pharmacy degree on or after January 1, 2003, you must have completed a minimum five-year pharmacy curriculum at the time of graduation." line from their website. It's called a PharmD in the US, but the equivalent may be called something different in other countries, but if you contact them, they will let you know it's not a BS. BS's are only acceptable if they were awarded before January 1, 2003.

But as Dred Pirate pointed, you can do a post-PharmD program, assuming they accept your foreign BS degree. I hadn't considered that possibility, but I was probably wrong in saying you would have to start from scratch. If you can get into a post-PharmD program, then it would build on your current degree and generally only be 2 more years.

You are required to have a PharmD or "equivalent" which is not a BS, this is the "Five-Year Degree: If you were issued a pharmacy degree on or after January 1, 2003, you must have completed a minimum five-year pharmacy curriculum at the time of graduation." line from their website. It's called a PharmD in the US, but the equivalent may be called something different in other countries, but if you contact them, they will let you know it's not a BS. BS's are only acceptable if they were awarded before January 1, 2003.

But as Dred Pirate pointed, you can do a post-PharmD program, assuming they accept your foreign BS degree. I hadn't considered that possibility, but I was probably wrong in saying you would have to start from scratch. If you can get into a post-PharmD program, then it would build on your current degree and generally only be 2 more years.

Thank you for your clarification! Yes now i fully understand your point! I must get into post-graduate PharmD! That is what happens in here in Egypt! However, there is new PharmD (commence this year) that is taught by 57357 Children Cancer Hospital in joint with University of Colorado followed by residency program PGY1. Such program may solve many problems and make th isssue easier!