Navy How to be a competitive applicant for specialty (OMFS) programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boyinblue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a D1 HSCP and wanted to know what the process is to be a competitive applicant for an Oral Surgery residency (immediately upon graduating dental school) through a Navy program as well as what the steps are to apply.

I understand it's probably too early to decide if specializing is for me or not. I also understand specialty programs are offered according to the needs of the Navy.

My initial recruiter recommended I just focus on my grades. This left the impression that GPA/Rank is the only important major factor. I've read in SDN forums that for most civilian residency programs they want to see grades/rank, extra curricular, research, etc. What does the Navy want to see?

Additionally, when do I apply for a program and what do I need to have done before I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Grades, class rank, CBSE score, extern at Navy programs.

As for the application process, it has been discussed ad nauseum and a simple search of the forums should get you the answers.

Grades, class rank, CBSE score, extern at Navy programs.

As for the application process, it has been discussed ad nauseum and a simple search of the forums should get you the answers.

What is a desirable CBSE score range for Navy programs? Specifically for applicants that graduated from P/F unranked programs. Thank you.