How to be a competitive MSW graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MHK2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently accepted an MSW offer for a very good program in Kansas. After I graduate I would really like to relocate out of state to Massachussets.

Regardless of where I relocate, I know it will be out of state and in a larger city. My end career goal is to open a private practice and operate that / help new therapists navigate the world of private practice if that is something that they are drawn to.

In order to relocate to another state I know first and foremost I need to be a competitive applicant.

From those who are almost done with their MSWs to those who have been in the field forever, what are some tips and advice on making the most of your time in your MSW program as well as reaching out to out of state jobs before graduating?

One thing I am considering doing during my first year as an MSW student is completing a Clinical Pastoral Education Residency which is a year long program in which I function fully as a chaplain while receiving intensive training in responding to trauma and helping patients cope with issues such as long term illness and end of life matters.

Would this be helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

So you want to take on extra work as a full-time MSW student? No