How to be considered "In State"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SKaminski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone.

I graduated from college last year (2011), plan on taking my MCATS in January 2013, and applying that same cycle. I realize this means i won't be going to med school until august 2014, but that's okay.

Anyways, i've lived in california nearly my whole life. I went to elementary school, middle school, high school, and college in california. My parents currently live in california, as well.

The thing is, I want to apply to california med schools (with the in-state advantage), and while i currently live here, i've been thinking about moving to another state (for personal reasons.)

So the question is, can i move states, while still applying like i live in california?

I could use my parents address as my permanent address, if necessary. Or switch it to a California PO box.

I anticipate that i'll have to update my drivers insurance (tell em where i live). I will not have to update where my ACH payments (from work) go into. I travel A LOT for work, and when i'm not traveling its telecommuting, so not a problem.

So, will i have to update my drivers license? My voters registration? How do Med schools check for your state of residence? Do they ask for tax returns? Could i just file my tax returns as if i live in california?

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

(Again, i currently DO live in california. I'm just THINKING about moving out of state.)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone.

I graduated from college last year (2011), plan on taking my MCATS in January 2013, and applying that same cycle. I realize this means i won't be going to med school until august 2014, but that's okay.

Anyways, i've lived in california nearly my whole life. I went to elementary school, middle school, high school, and college in california. My parents currently live in california, as well.

The thing is, I want to apply to california med schools (with the in-state advantage), and while i currently live here, i've been thinking about moving to another state (for personal reasons.)

So the question is, can i move states, while still applying like i live in california?

I could use my parents address as my permanent address, if necessary. Or switch it to a California PO box.

I anticipate that i'll have to update my drivers insurance (tell em where i live). I will not have to update where my ACH payments (from work) go into. I travel A LOT for work, and when i'm not traveling its telecommuting, so not a problem.

So, will i have to update my drivers license? My voters registration? How do Med schools check for your state of residence? Do they ask for tax returns? Could i just file my tax returns as if i live in california?

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

(Again, i currently DO live in california. I'm just THINKING about moving out of state.)

Yes you can because you have already met California's residency requirement. i plan on doing something similar...

Just make sure you are able to meet the other state's residency requirements when you get there.

I'm currently trying to get my state resident changed for medical school and it's a long process with a lot of steps. I assume if you don't start that process you could keep your CA residency,

Members don't see this ad :)
I may have something similar going on... the biggest thing I'm sweating is tax returns... you can move somewhere else and keep your mailing address in the old place (friend or relative), you don't have to get a new driver's license or change your cell phone number, depending on your policy you may not need to change auto insurance (and even if you did I doubt that would affect anything)...

but if you get a job in the new place you will have tax paperwork showing you living in the new place, and you may have to get the new DL in the new place in order to work there... idk

I may have something similar going on... the biggest thing I'm sweating is tax returns... you can move somewhere else and keep your mailing address in the old place (friend or relative), you don't have to get a new driver's license or change your cell phone number, depending on your policy you may not need to change auto insurance (and even if you did I doubt that would affect anything)...

but if you get a job in the new place you will have tax paperwork showing you living in the new place, and you may have to get the new DL in the new place in order to work there... idk

that's along the lines of my thinking. if i don't change it on any official paperwork, i should be fine. I can just keep my mailing address, as long as i file my tax returns in the right state, i should be fine.

I must point out that an applicant who can claim residecy in any other state has a greater advantage in the application process than a CA resident has in California.

Yeah, if you have a choice of states to establish residency in, California is a poor choice for med school admissions.

I must point out that an applicant who can claim residency in any other state has a greater advantage in the application process than a CA resident has in California.

Really? What about to the UC Medical schools, such as UCLA Medical School, UCSD Medical School, UC San Francisco School of Medicine?

Really? What about to the UC Medical schools, such as UCLA Medical School, UCSD Medical School, UC San Francisco School of Medicine?
Several of those schools make no special effort to admit Californians and they're all considered extremely competitive, so if you can claim another state residency then you'll most likely increase your chances of being accepted

That's right. There are over 5000 instate applicants and only about 1000 1st year positions (allopathic), of which about 800 go to instate applicants. This is the lowest ratio of any state. The majority of Californias's premeds must leave the state to go to medical school. Given the condition of California's budget some of the UC medical schools would reasonably have a high interest in OOS applicants given that they provide extra tuition (even if only for a year). It is also true that the schools you mentioned draw from among the best applicants in the country.

generally a combination of registered to vote, residence and paying taxes establishes residency in any given state.