How to be more efficient?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
first day of medschool today. i learned that efficiency is the only way to survive. so. do yall have any advice on how to be an efficient med student? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Cogratulations.... You started the way of being a doctor :cool:

docmemi said:
advice on how to be an efficient med student?

~ Don't procrastinate .... or you will end up :confused:
~ When you start studying always remember :

Medicine was your choice, It is a chalange but YOU CAN DO IT

Good Luck :) :thumbup:

The key is to have an information filter. Know the learning objectives for each lecture and nothing more. A typical 60 minute med school lecture can be cut down to at most 1 page of notes or 2-3 diagrams. "Big picture" stuff will get you a passing grade in every class and you will eventually add details to this foundation. I would advise against group study unless you can't do it any other way -- it's extremely inefficient and the last thing you need is the company of 5 other stressed-out people. :)

For classes that require memorization (i.e. anatomy), repetition is the key. Work in 10-15 -minute chunks throughout the day. For anatomy in particular, learn to draw things like circulation maps and muscle attachements. Most people can learn to draw the diagrams much faster than they can memorize all the relationships. Then during the exam you re-draw the diagrams from memory and answer by looking at them instead of trying to remember things. Amazingly, over time the diagrams will automatically settle in your conscious memory.

The key is to not freak out. The "fire hose" effect only happens with "I only teach to make money" PhD's who do basic science lectures. Everything else is quite manageable, and things get easier as you build a solid foundation. Don't try too hard to be a superstar. Just chill and you will do well. Remember, it looks REALLY bad for schools to have <100% graduation rates. They won't let you fail. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Five words: Know how you study best. You obviously know how to study or you wouldn't be here (really). Example: I'm a visual learner, so I stick to atlases and diagrams; I find groups distracting so I avoid them; I'm a morning person, etc etc.

Corollary: don't waste time copying or worrying about your classmates. Don't read textbooks just because they do (or even buy most of them). Don't go into anatomy lab unless you have an idea of what you're doing, huge waste of time otherwise.

Also, I think a sense of balance is key. Without all the other stuff I do besides school, I'd probably wither and die. Absolutely no studying Friday nights! (well, maybe just once before a party :D) If I just studied all the time I wouldn't be efficient at all. :p

Don't worry, med school isn't hard, just a lot of memorization.

best,
sunflower :)

efficiency is mostly a myth dude. most times you just gotta grind it out like all the other ignorant over-eager *****s. the material is ******ed and there are very few shortcuts. the sooner you accept this fact, the sooner you will become hopelessly depressed. oh wait a second...

Recognize that you are only going to retain about 50% of material the first time through, and that it will all sound like greek to you a month later. Don't worry, there is usually enough repitition to cover the high points.

If you go in with the mindset that you need to retain everything as it is presented, you are doomed to the loony bin by the end of the year.

i don't like study groups, but do consider a study buddy. I actually find that far more efficient than working alone because if either of us starts getting off task, the other person is there to bring the first back to the table. Between two people, we usually have been to all the lectures and can fill in gaps in each other's knowledge.

And it's also nice to have someone smack you upside the head when you start freaking out about failing an exam or something! Of course, it can be tough to find the right person to work with all the time, but it's been well worth it for me.

docmemi said:
first day of medschool today. i learned that efficiency is the only way to survive. so. do yall have any advice on how to be an efficient med student? thanks.

I listen to Kaplan Webprep in my car and while i do cardio to cover lectures. Im listening to path lectures in my car, and I listen to first year courses like biochem while Im doing cardio to prepare for the USMLE. This helps me not waste any time when i work out and when I drive.

Also, get a headset for ur phone and talk to people while u vacuum or clean ur room and do chores and talk on the phone the same time so u dont just sit there and waste time.

Lets see, also dont depend so much on textbooks, but go to class and focus, and then use the scribes to learn and paraphrase (active learning), etc... The bulk of ur learning should come from scribes, First Aid, USMLE review books and text books should be used if u have used the other sources and u still dont get it.

These are some of my tips that helped me do well in first year and hopefully do ok in second year.

later
Omar

docmemi said:

don't study while browsing sdn.

Yogi Bear said:
don't study while browsing sdn.

just dont ever get on sdn---that is key my friend :laugh:

...if there is a note service in your school, i would subscribe..if there is not, start one...we did..

go to lecture and listen, rather than take notes (that's what note service is for..)

if the lectures suck, study the notes in the library, rather than go to class.

party once or twice a week and unwind

go to the gym a few times a week

when pathology starts, because of the volume of material, and the visual nature of its exams, find a good study group...

god, med school was such a pain in the ass, i would never want to do it over again...

Don't read the assigned reading, only do so for clarification. There is no note taking service at our school (one classmate did type up notes & post them on angel) but for your class you must take notes and know the lectures. The block heads take a majority of exam questions straight from lecture. If you know the notes cold you can pass comfortably, and if you follow along each subject with a good review book getting one sd above the mean is totally doable, but again it's pass/fail so why bother with the review book? Cause come board study time you've already looked at the review book once.