How to Become a Doctor documentary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesL1585

TheAntiSavior?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can watch/download the documentary taken a few years back of Harvard Med students (I believe) called Becoming a Doctor, or How to Become a Doctor? Been looking for it all morning and heard about it from a friend. For those of you who haven't watched it I heard its reallyy good and interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doctor's Diaries is what you're looking for. It's a multi-part series that starts when the now doctors were at Harvard Med, and follows them through med school, residency, and practice.

I'm pretty sure it's Doctor's Diaries, since I just watched it last night...

wow i just finished it and was amazed about how much they changed over the years and how some of them have careers that are not related to the degree they attained from med school

The one on the PBS website right now is actually a new version. They've now been following those people for over 20 years. It's really a great show.

are there any other documentaries out there that are similar to Doctors' Diaries? Maybe something that follows students in the 2000's?

That's a really good documentary. It does not glamorize medicine by any means.

are there any other documentaries out there that are similar to Doctors' Diaries? Maybe something that follows students in the 2000's?

There was one in the late 90's or early 2000's following students at, I think, either Maryland or Wisconsin (can't remember which). I think it was on the discovery channel, learning channel or discovery health. They followed a few 1st years, 2nd years, 3rd years and 4th years (the main thing I remember is a 4th yr student giving a graduation speech with several acronyms, eventually ending with MD). I have no clue where you could find it now. Sorry I can't be more specific/helpful. It has been a LONG time since I saw it.

EDIT: it was in 2002 at Maryland, here is a link to a press release http://www.umm.edu/news/releases/medschool.htm

If you really want to buy it, its sold here: http://www.videopress.org/personal_journey/medschool_PERCH1013.html for the low price of $750.00 :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
I watched that nova documentary u guys posted. and wow their life sucks. i would seriosuly not wanna b any one of them. they must have picked a **** group of ppl or its just harvard. so lets b positive ha

Members don't see this ad :)
It is also on Netflix, ( where i watched it) for free on the instant queue

I just got done watching this doc. I found it pretty depressing. The lesson to be learned here is to wait until you're done with residency before you get married and have hobbies outside of medicine.

I think you are referring to Doctor's Diaries. If so, here is a link where you can watch it online: http://www.pbs.org/video/video/1114402491/subject/957383708

I believe it is coming out on DVD soon if you are interested in buying it.

WOW, what a depressing show. Just about every person on there got divorced, sounds like we're all in for a wonderful life.

I particularly like how the spouses of the doctors discussed how they simply got a shell of their former partner. They were so exhausted and gone from home so much that they were just an empty version of their former selves. I also liked how they mentioned never doing things they enjoyed anymore (like reading or painting or whatever..).

WOW, what a depressing show. Just about every person on there got divorced, sounds like we're all in for a wonderful life.

I particularly like how the spouses of the doctors discussed how they simply got a shell of their former partner. They were so exhausted and gone from home so much that they were just an empty version of their former selves. I also liked how they mentioned never doing things they enjoyed anymore (like reading or painting or whatever..).

I also noticed these facts when I saw this. Maybe it should be a must see for every pre-med.

Sounds about right. As an intern/resident, when you work around 80 hours/week capped off with a 30 hour overnight shift you pretty much spend your post call days (4 days off a month) sleeping and vegging. You are good for a few dinners out a week, and fall asleep in front of TV or at the movies quite a lot. Your spouse has to have her own things going and not depend on you for entertainment or you are sunk.

Sounds about right. As an intern/resident, when you work around 80 hours/week capped off with a 30 hour overnight shift you pretty much spend your post call days (4 days off a month) sleeping and vegging. You are good for a few dinners out a week, and fall asleep in front of TV or at the movies quite a lot. Your spouse has to have her own things going and not depend on you for entertainment or you are sunk.

Cocaine anyone?

Cocaine anyone?

chewbacca-meth.jpg

^^^^Lol, that picture's awesome.

I thought only half of them got divorced. That's pretty average for American couples. Then again I think the 2 of the female doctors never got married.

If these physician's spouses couldn't handle the 3-7 year relationship stress that is residency then they were probably going to get divorced over something else anyways. Probably parenting stress.

What I found depressing was what happened to the E.R. doc Tom. He struck me as one of those genius types that are never satisfied with their lives and indulge themselves into an early grave. I'm not at all surprised that he's been married three times.

I thought only half of them got divorced. That's pretty average for American couples. Then again I think the 2 of the female doctors never got married.

I didn't see any of the doctors that got married before or during medical school make it. Tom, Jay, the dude that went to DUKE for residency, nobody. The one super sensitive jewish chick is still married, but she got married after all of her training.

I didn't see any of the doctors that got married before or during medical school make it. Tom, Jay, the dude that went to DUKE for residency, nobody. The one super sensitive jewish chick is still married, but she got married after all of her training.

Plus, didn't she say she wasn't sure whether or not she would be happy if her children wanted to go into medicine?

If all the footage had to show was sunshine and butterflies then it prob wouldn't have made a watch-worth documentary. :D

There wasn't even the slightest bit of sunshine and butterflies, all their lives were absolutely miserable.

Well, maybe the black chick. She seemed to luck out by getting a research job out in Thousand Oaks California where she had no patient contact and made a great living. She seemed the happiest of them all, although single.

True. I guess the key is to get married after residency. This is probably easier for men since their biological clock ticks more slowly. Another option would be to marry another hard-working professional who would understand what you're going through.

I think for the most part, they all seemed reasonably content with their lives. Even Tom with his major health and employment problems didn't seem too miserable.

that was horrible- i almost cried! i really would NEVER want to be any of those people...

but it was pretty funny when the doctor was talking about how he thought he would marry a medical professional while his housewife was getting really pissed of!

but it was pretty funny when the doctor was talking about how he thought he would marry a medical professional while his housewife was getting really pissed of!

That was pretty freakin funny. He kept trying to explain what he meant, but she was not buying it.

Awesome documentary.

That was pretty freakin funny. He kept trying to explain what he meant, but she was not buying it.

Awesome documentary.

Doctor: "I always thought I would marry a medical professional."

Wife: "Really" (with a look that could make Mike Tyson scared).

I agree that this needs to be a must see for all people who are considering becoming a physician :thumbup: