How to Become a NP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Delta

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a Bachelors of Science in Biology and I'm interested in becoming a nurse practitioner. Can I just go to graduate school for nursing since I already have a bachelors degree? Also what are the pros and cons of being a NP? Lastly, what is their average salary? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations in your decision to pursue nursing!

Since you have a bachelor's degree already, it shouldn't be too hard to get into a nurse practitioner program. Nurse practitioner programs are graduate studies, and many do require a BSN. Often times, student with Bachelor degrees in other fields can study approximately one year to get a bachelor's in nursing, and spend another year or two to get a masters (i.e. nurse practitioner degree).

Average salaries for nurse practitioners can be found in websites such as http://www.salary.com . They give you local averages and national averages, and so on. I'm not quite sure, but I think it's around 70-80K/year. Good part is, you can start your nursing career as soon as you get your bachelors which may not take long. R.N.'s make on average about 30-40K starting, so that's not too bad, right?

Check out http://www.allnursingschools.com for a list of programs in each state. PM me if you have any more questions -- I am pursuing nursing myself, and I've done so much research, that I've become an expert!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh, and about the pros and cons of being an NP... I think the extra education give more power, which is a pro. You earn a lot more money, you'll have better opportunity for leadership/management. I think a con might be that despite the graduate school education, you're still a "nurse" and there is definitely a lack of autonomy from what I've heard. But that's just what I've heard -- I am sure that many employers and co-workers place nurses (all nurses) on a pedestal, where they belong! :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply Califlower. I thought NP's had the option of opening a practice and therefore have more autonomy than an RN.

There are graduate programs for non-nurses which takes about 2 years to complete and then 9 months of advanced nurse practitioner certificate program. so, a total of about 3 years should be spent in school. I am planning to get into one of those program myself. I am a software consultant but pursuing my goal of becoming a NP in 4 years from now. I am taking all my science pre-reqs in local community college. You have to take GRE to get into the Master's program though.

It depends on the state in which you live what levels of practice an NP will have. Many states on the west coast offer autonomous practice (no needed consultation from an MD), and these as well as states that allow collaborative practice (an NP lists an MD that can be consulted if needed) allow NPs to set up independent/semi-independent practices. Frequently, the NP may pay an MD for consultation as needed, but otherwise maintains the independent practice on his/her own. Each state has its own rules for NP practice so you must check out the individual state.

For more information, look at ACNP or AANP websites. Carolyn Buppert also has published books on NPs in independent practice and legal/other information toward this end.

Advance for NPs (www.advancefornp.com) publishes a yearly salary survey that may guide you in that arena.

Try to find an NP to shadow to discuss further pros/cons or feel free to post additional questions on this site.

Nursingschool, do you know what schools on the East Coast have the graduate program for non-nurses? I'm from Maryland. Also, I'm a little confused. The Master's degree you recieve does not allow you to practice as a NP? You need a certificate after getting the Masters degree? Aren't there Master's programs where after receiving the degree you can practice as a NP or are these programs only for applicants with a BSN? Thanks.

Osorry1, are you at a disadvantage if after you receive the BSN you went straight into a NP program without working as an RN first? Should I expect fewer employment opportunities, since I wouldn't have any RN experience? Also, do you know what the job market is like for NP's specializing in Women's Health or Gerontology? Thanks.

http://www.allnursingschools.com/featured/accelerated-msn.php

John Hopkins University offers Master's in Nursing for non-nurses in your state. take a look at the above website to get more info. The school that I plan to go offers 2 years MSN program after which I am eligible to write the board exam. Then after becoming a RN I have to take few more courses (approx. 3 quarters, if I go full time) to get a NP certificate. The direct 2 year program is for nurses. Since I am software person, I am not very sure about what kind of NP I want to be! :)
I kind of know what I want to be but I will know more about it once I go for rotations in the 2nd year. I will probably make up my mind at that time. Else, I want to work for 2 years as a nurse, learn it from experience. that's my plan.

Working as a NP is very different from working as a nurse, so no, I haven't found any disadvantages from going straight through from RN-NP in the same accelerated program.

Some of the students in Acute care (ER/trauma/critical care work) worked as RNs while they completed their NPs for additional experience, but if you're looking at primary care NPs (FNP, womens, Peds, Psych, Geri) there is really no reason to feel that you won't be marketable without RN experience. The market for these jobs vary depending on where you live, how saturated the market is with MDs and NPs, and how flexible you are. Many NPs practice in rural/underserved areas, making it very easy to find jobs (especially if you're mobile). Geri and Psych NPs will be very much in demand as the boomers get older and crazier!

Also, there are NP degrees in informatics (computer medical information) and other technology based areas for those interested in that.

I graduated from Vanderbilt University and they also have a sub-specialty in disaster management and homeland issues (really booming now). www.vanderbilt.edu/nursing

Look at www.advancefornp.com for information about NPs and potential jobs to give you a better idea.

Once you graduate, you take an exam in your specialty area for certification. This then allows you to work (and get paid by third party payers) as an NP. I took the exam the month after I graduated and passed. Your classes prep you for the exam.

Hope this helps.

osorry1, you mentioned working as a NP is different than working as a nurse. How else is it different besides being more specialized?

Also, can anyone share what a typical day is like for a NP working in an office? In fact, does anyone know if NP's tend to work more in offices or hospitals or are they fairly distributed? Thanks again for the repsones.

Working as an NP is different in a number of ways, depending on your specialty. In primary care (FNP, PedsNP) you are frequently seeing patients in a clinic just like a doctor, where the focus is identifying and treating illness and prescibing meds. Your nursing knowledge comes with the additional health prevention, education, and encouragement in the patient being in control of treatment that an NP provides. In hospitals, you would also see patients working toward a diagnosis and medication management issues. Your holistic approach is what nursing brings to the table. Your nursing assessment skills are focused on diagnosis and medication/treatment in a different way that a nurse following patients on the floor, or seeing patients before the MD at a clinic would do. The additional training emphasizes the assessment, diagnosis and medication management of patients, while incorporating holistic approaches to care.

There is no typical day, as there is no typical NP setting (as there isn't a real typical day for MDs). Clinic NPs see patients every 15-20 minutes like a doctor in a clinic would. Inpatient NPs do rounds on their patients like a doc, would have a clinic schedule as well perhaps, and may assist in surgeries if they are Cardiothoracic or other specialized NPs. There are probably more NPs working in clinics than hospitals but this has been changing recently, as NP hospitalist skills become more widely accepted and utlilized and with the cut in resident hours. NPs have been increasingly hired as hospitalists to see patients.

I work both intpatient and outpatient, seeing inpatients in the morning, outpatients in clinic in the afternoons. Plus, there are NPs that also do research trials and other things that are part of their job. The field is what you develop. I wrote and developed my job description and practice independently with an MD backup if I need to consult on a case (which everyone, even MDs, have).

Hope this helps. Please try to e-mail, shadow or talk to as many NPs as you can to get their differing perspectives. When I went into this, everyone I e-mailed was happy to give my their insight.

How comptetive and tough are the RN to NP programs? Much more so than a BSN to NP or RN to BSN?

Yes,

In general the accelerated programs are more difficult to get into than the traditional programs for a number of reasons-

1. Since the pace is faster, you have to have a better track record of good class, learning and interaction skills. Your science prerequisite grades are also important.

2. There are more students competing for those slots than for the traditional programs.

3. Most of the big name schools have these types of programs (Yale, U.Penn, Vandy) so that makes competition tougher at those schools. State run programs may be less competitive.

4. There are more students coming from other fields with transferable experience, so there other experience may add to their ranking more than new grads.

Most individual schools list percentages of acceptance so you can look that up on www.allnurses.com under nursing schools.

osorry: I have to tell you that as an RN, I would not go to an NP who did not have experience as an RN.

There is so much you learn working as an RN that you can apply to NP practice. I think you'd have far more credibility, too. You get to sharpen your assessment skills, see patients with a variety of dx., etc.

Maybe I misinterpreted your post, but I feel nurses who go straight through without having at least a minimal amount of clinical experience are doing themselves, and their pts., a great disservice.

The NP that I see plays the same roll in my life that any other PCP has, and more. A nurse (i think) comes in and takes my blood pressure and records my weight. Then the NP comes in and diagnoses problems, writes scripts, referrals, etc. SHe also seems to give me more time to explain things and is a better listener than most of the docs I've seen have been. I'm not sure if that's because the style of clinic it is, or if NPs in general are that way. Good LUck though!

It's been great reading the posts in this thread. They are balanced and well thought out, and demonstrate a strong understanding of the medical field.

NP's bring a lot to the table, and are able to contribute from a nursing background both intangibles and important skills that may easily escape an MD.

As a med student with a clinical background before entering med school, I'd like to pose what I hope are interesting, and not condescending, questions to you:

If a person can be trained to practice medicine in 1-3 years (compared with the 7-10 years for physicians after undergrad work), why the need at all for MD's? Why are physicians required to work through so many years of extra training?

I'm not looking for the NP-vs-MD debate, but rather for some honest and well thought out opinions and theories on the matter.

Originally posted by Gator05

If a person can be trained to practice medicine in 1-3 years (compared with the 7-10 years for physicians after undergrad work), why the need at all for MD's? Why are physicians required to work through so many years of extra training?

I'm not looking for the NP-vs-MD debate, but rather for some honest and well thought out opinions and theories on the matter.

You are asking this question to the wrong group of people. Please ask this kind of question to each state's legislature. They are the ones passing laws to give more autotomy to NP and PA in health field.

Originally posted by Gator05

NP's are well suited for a variety of jobs. However, they will never be able to truly supplant a physician. In my hospital, neonatal NP's are very valuable and carry alot of the workload of the NICU. However, all of their work is supervised by an attending neonatologist. They are given a lot of (supervised) autonomy but this is in a field where there is a very limited number of diseases and treatments (when considered against the rest of pediatric medicine). In contrast, on the wards, there is also an NP team that works alongside the resident teams. This NP team is given only easy, stable cases and are very closely supervised by attending pediatricians. They are given only a limited number of admissions throughout the day (the interns routinely admit twice to three times the number of cases as the entire NP team (2-3NP's) in a day). Additionally, it appears that the NP's don't do as good of a job when admitting their patients when compared to the residents (and this was after a four month training period). For this reason, our hospital is planning on instituting a policy where an MD must do all admissions to the ward. So, while NP's do learn a great deal of medicine, I would be reluctant to say that they do an equivalent job of an MD.