How to become a Pharmacy Manager/Director/Pharmacist in Charge?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iZodliquify

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you need a MBA or adminstrative degree as well as a Pharm D?

Members don't see this ad.

At CVS, it seems like they have kids become PIC like a year out of college. None of the older people, wisely, want anything to do with it.

Though now that the bonuses are bigger, maybe more will.

Members don't see this ad :)
eh, the bonus are not even that big. I think at my store our PIC can get 7000 if she hits everything 100% but our count is already lagging from goal so...

Do you need a MBA or adminstrative degree as well as a Pharm D?

For hospital, its mainly experience. Usually 5+ years to qualify for consideration for directorship. Residency experience will count towards that, especially pgy-2 in pharmacy management which often is preferred. Larger the facility, higher the qualification requirements usually.

What separates the PIC from a staff pharmacist? script counts? staffing/hiring?

What separates the PIC from a staff pharmacist? script counts? staffing/hiring?

Cvs at least...
PIC
Hiring/training
Scheduling
Following endless metrics/targets
Scheduling techs
Inventory control
State/federal law compliance
Driving flu shots
Unpaid corporate meetings
Handling customer service issues/concerns
Verify prescriptions

Staff pharmacist
Verify prescriptions

Reactions: 1 user
For hospital, its mainly experience. Usually 5+ years to qualify for consideration for directorship. Residency experience will count towards that, especially pgy-2 in pharmacy management which often is preferred. Larger the facility, higher the qualification requirements usually.

5 years of staffing with no supervisory duties can get you considered for director? The one thing I hate nowadays in hospital is how the person above the director isn't even a doctor, but some VP of Quality Control or something who's been a nurse for 10-15 years, then a nurse manager for another 10 years. I would have thought the director of pharmacy reports directly to the Chief of Medicine or something like that.

5 years of staffing with no supervisory duties can get you considered for director? The one thing I hate nowadays in hospital is how the person above the director isn't even a doctor, but some VP of Quality Control or something who's been a nurse for 10-15 years, then a nurse manager for another 10 years. I would have thought the director of pharmacy reports directly to the Chief of Medicine or something like that.

That's different from a hospital to a hospital. Our directors reports directly to the CEO (who happens to be a lawyer!)

Depends on the size and location of the facility. There is somewhat of a shortage for directors, so a small hospital in an underserved area may well consider pharmacist from a larger facility 5+ years of experience.

Cvs at least...
PIC
Hiring/training
Scheduling
Scheduling techs
Inventory control
Driving flu shots
Verify prescriptions

Staff pharmacist
Verify prescriptions

I'm staffing at CVS but I share those responsibilities 50/50 with my PIC, there's no way a pharmacy supervisor would let you off that easily

Cvs at least...
PIC
Hiring/training
Scheduling
Scheduling techs
Inventory control
Driving flu shots
Verify prescriptions

Staff pharmacist
Verify prescriptions
a good PIC would delegate some of that and make sure it's everyone's responsibility

a good PIC would delegate some of that and make sure it's everyone's responsibility

Well sure, they can delegate it, but they are still responsible for for making sure it gets done. I think the point is, many people feel the slight increase in pay is not worth the amount of the increased responsibility, which is why few people want to be a manager. The ones who do want to be manager, are usually people who plain on climbing as high as they can on the corporate ladder, or people who are fresh out of school and have no idea what they are getting themselves into.

Well sure, they can delegate it, but they are still responsible for for making sure it gets done. I think the point is, many people feel the slight increase in pay is not worth the amount of the increased responsibility, which is why few people want to be a manager. The ones who do want to be manager, are usually people who plain on climbing as high as they can on the corporate ladder, or people who are fresh out of school and have no idea what they are getting themselves into.

Why do chains like CVS employ new grads to work as pharmacy managers just fresh out of school? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Why do chains like CVS employ new grads to work as pharmacy managers just fresh out of school? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Because most experience people don't want to do it. Pharmacies have to have a pharmacy manager by law, and new grads are usually the ones who are naive enough to take the job.