How to become a Radiologist/ Radiation Oncologist ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lolipop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!:luck:

I'm currently living in Australia studying Medical Radiation (Radiation Therapy). I already have a diploma in Diagnostic Radiography.

I heard something that I'm not sure about and I wonder if u guys have any idea? :idea:

I heard that there's a 3 years program after finishing the Bachelore's degree where u can study (or practice) and become a Radiologist,I mean to be a doctor who specialize in Radiology or Radiation oncology, without going to medical school?:wow: Is that true? :uhno:

I heard that u can find such programs in the U.S and Germany.
I tried to look it up, but couldn't find anything. :confused:

...I know that the steps to become a Radiologist/ Radiation oncologist is to go to Medical school (4 years) and then do a 4 years residency in Radiology or Radiation oncology.

But what some ppl told me made me really confused. :confused:

What do u guys think? :eyebrow:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Lolipop!:luck:

To become a radiologist you have to complete 4 years of college (bachelors degree) and after finishing college you must do 4 years of medical school to earn your M.D. or D.O. Then you must do a residency in radiology, which consists of 1 year of internship followed by 4 more years of radiology.

I have heard of no special 3 year programs, though if you have a medical degree from your home country you can take the Steps (1,2, and 3), TOEFL and apply for residency (I believe, others will be able to give you more advice on that route.)

Radiology is very difficult to get into as an IMG, and rad onc even more so.

I'm sorry if I confused :confused: you.

:eyebrow:

To become a radiologist you have to complete 4 years of college (bachelors degree) and after finishing college you must do 4 years of medical school to earn your M.D. or D.O. Then you must do a residency in radiology, which consists of 1 year of internship followed by 4 more years of radiology.

I have heard of no special 3 year programs, though if you have a medical degree from your home country you can take the Steps (1,2, and 3), TOEFL and apply for residency (I believe, others will be able to give you more advice on that route.)

Brilliant.

:laugh: