How to become a volunteer EMT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalchimp

Reaction score
Been talking with some people on here about the advantages of becoming a volunteer EMT before applying to med school. I just want to be a volunteer EMT as I don't have a lot of time, but researched online that they only require 2-4 12 hour shifts a month - I think this amount of time is doable for my schedule.

Does anybody have any resources for where I go to become a volunteer EMT? I know I need to complete a short (3 week?) program before I can sign up. But from there, how valid are volunteer opportunities that will allow you to work as a volunteer EMT for only 2-4 times a month? I would love to work more, but my schedule simply won't allow it.

Also, what are some of the duties a volunteer EMT would have? Driving the van? Or more hands on duties such as tending to wounds and helping patients, administering CPR, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't have a lot of time, then don't do EMT. Just the class alone is around 120 hours, and that's besides clinical rotations (if your class needs them).
For the short, intensive summer class, it's almost a full time job for a month.

What you do as a beginner volly EMT depends on what station/company you join and what their probie training is like.

find a volunteer rescue squad and call/email. Best way is if you know someone who currently does it. Driving the van comes eventually. As an EMT-B you support your medic. Mostly taking BP, helping spike a bag if running an IV, stocking the van etc. Just supporting the medic.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Been talking with some people on here about the advantages of becoming a volunteer EMT before applying to med school. I just want to be a volunteer EMT as I don't have a lot of time, but researched online that they only require 2-4 12 hour shifts a month - I think this amount of time is doable for my schedule.

Does anybody have any resources for where I go to become a volunteer EMT? I know I need to complete a short (3 week?) program before I can sign up. But from there, how valid are volunteer opportunities that will allow you to work as a volunteer EMT for only 2-4 times a month? I would love to work more, but my schedule simply won't allow it.

Also, what are some of the duties a volunteer EMT would have? Driving the van? Or more hands on duties such as tending to wounds and helping patients, administering CPR, etc?
It's been a pretty good experience for me, and the class isn't terribly demanding. If you are looking fo a volunteer department maybe look rural, perhaps at a volunteer fire department. The ones I have been involved with offer to pay for the class in return for volunteering and hours are very negotiable whether you work or volunteer. A lot of ambulance companies allow you to sign up for shifts at your own conveniance as a PRN employee. You'll have a lot more responsibility over a patient on an all BLS department where you don't have a medic behind you. I personally suggest using your license to work in an ER as a tech. Some hospitals will allow you to do more than you would on an ambulance such as IVs, follies, cast fitting, etc. However, most of the time n an ambulance you'll be driving and assisting the medic if you have one. Regardless you get a lot of one on one patient contact, and introduction to writing with medical terminology. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Reactions: 1 user

Do you know if your campus has an EMS organization? Several campuses, such as Rice and Brandeis, have EMS orgs that are run by students and help you find training and volunteer opportunities. Depending on how cool your campus' administration is, they might even let students participate in first response on campus.

It's been a pretty good experience for me, and the class isn't terribly demanding. If you are looking fo a volunteer department maybe look rural, perhaps at a volunteer fire department. The ones I have been involved with offer to pay for the class in return for volunteering and hours are very negotiable whether you work or volunteer. A lot of ambulance companies allow you to sign up for shifts at your own conveniance as a PRN employee. You'll have a lot more responsibility over a patient on an all BLS department where you don't have a medic behind you. I personally suggest using your license to work in an ER as a tech. Some hospitals will allow you to do more than you would on an ambulance such as IVs, follies, cast fitting, etc. However, most of the time n an ambulance you'll be driving and assisting the medic if you have one. Regardless you get a lot of one on one patient contact, and introduction to writing with medical terminology. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

I was a volunteer EMT, and I think @Goofy Goober has some good advice. The only thing I would add is that you can find some volunteer fire departments in suburban areas as well as rural areas, and some suburban departments can be pretty busy. In my experience, most people who join fire departments prefer to do firefighter stuff. Firefighters tend to be happy to let you get a lot of hours on the ambulance because every time you're on the ambulance, they don't have to ride it. I would look into volunteer fire departments right away because it takes a long time to do the background check, different (easy) classes, and fire department EMT schools can be 2 - 4 months.

If you live in a state that lets EMTs work as hospital technicians that do more than EMTs would do on an ambulance, even better!

PM me if you have more questions.