how to become an athletic trainer if your already a P.T.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nokabob4u

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to become an athletic trainer after getting your P.T. license?

Members don't see this ad.

The only way to get your ATC is to got through an athletic training program (either Bachelor's or Master's), regardless of other degrees/certifications you may have.

I know it's lame, cuz I'd consider doing it too, and if you look at a master's curriculum some of the classes are similar/the same as in a PT curriculum, so maybe you'd be able to get some of those classes waived to do it in less time?

The only way to get your ATC is to got through an athletic training program (either Bachelor's or Master's), regardless of other degrees/certifications you may have.

I know it's lame, cuz I'd consider doing it too, and if you look at a master's curriculum some of the classes are similar/the same as in a PT curriculum, so maybe you'd be able to get some of those classes waived to do it in less time?

And I'm sure you'd be a fan of waiving some of the PT classes if you have a Masters in Athletic Training, I'm guessing?

Fact is that it won't happen. In order to be eligible to sit for the BOC exam, one must graduate from an CAATE-accredited athletic training education program.

Members don't see this ad :)
And I'm sure you'd be a fan of waiving some of the PT classes if you have a Masters in Athletic Training, I'm guessing?

Fact is that it won't happen. In order to be eligible to sit for the BOC exam, one must graduate from an CAATE-accredited athletic training education program.

Woah, I'm sure you're right, but lets not toss stones back and forth. We can work together here. :)

Some of those CAATE and CAPTE programs do actually overlap if you plan them. IE one or two dual DPT/MSAT, which oddly enough have classed that overlap.

You're right though, a simple "waiving" of years likely won't happen due to struggles in academia even though a dual degree program shows it may be possible. So you'll be stuck having to complete 2 years for a masters most likely.

Honestly, the best way to get both undergrad ATC --> grad DPT.
Boom, 7 years and both licenses.

Woah, I'm sure you're right, but lets not toss stones back and forth. We can work together here. :)

Some of those CAATE and CAPTE programs do actually overlap if you plan them. IE one or two dual DPT/MSAT, which oddly enough have classed that overlap.

Honestly, the best way to get both undergrad ATC --> grad DPT.
Boom, 7 years and both licenses.

I have no problem working together. I'm just saying that if one profession is going to consider its classes to be "the same" as the other profession and therefore should be waivable, then it better be a two-way street is all..

With that said, I have applied to a Masters in Athletic Training (post-graduate program for certified individuals) in which many of the elective classes are in the PT program at that university..

I have no problem working together. I'm just saying that if one profession is going to consider its classes to be "the same" as the other profession and therefore should be waivable, then it better be a two-way street is all..

Wholeheartedly agree about overlap, that said, unless you're in a dual degree program I doubt the scenario will happen for either side. Even though it was suggested, I have serious doubts it will happen.

With that said, I have applied to a Masters in Athletic Training (post-graduate program for certified individuals) in which many of the elective classes are in the PT program at that university..

'Grats to you and your studies.

I have no problem working together. I'm just saying that if one profession is going to consider its classes to be "the same" as the other profession and therefore should be waivable, then it better be a two-way street is all...

If someone has a Master's AT degree and already took Gross Anatomy at the graduate level, and the course was the same (meaning the AT class had cadaver dissection, etc, and the PT course had the same requirements.), I see no reason why they can't waive it.

Our PT school has an option similar to that: If you think you should be able to waive a requirement, you can petition to do so. It doesn't happen very often, but it's possible (i.e if someone has a PhD or maybe even a Masters in physiology or anatomy, they really wouldn't need to take that course again). Tuition wouldn't be reduced, but it'd at least give them some more free time.

I know it wouldn't accelerate the process, but if the OP has a DPT or is getting one and wants to get be an ATC, it's worth asking around if it'd be possible to have some of the course requirements waived...if nothing else, depending on how the class schedule worked, getting a pass out of A&P again could save 6-8 hours per week, and the student could work part time as a PT or something instead of sitting through a class he/she has already taken.