How to become oral surgeon..? without medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Payne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone so my friend got her wisdom teeth taken out, but the dr that did it didnt go to medical school (read his bio online).. do you think he may have just omitted it or is it possible to be allowed to take wisdom teeth out without having to go to medical school and dental school like I previously thought? Like through an advanced residency or something? thanks in advance.

P.S Not all her wisdom teeth were fully above the gum line

Members don't see this ad.

There are four year and six year residencies for oral surgery. Typically, the six year programs award an MD but oral surgeons from four year residencies are qualified to do all of the same procedures (including removal of wisdom teeth).

Reactions: 1 user
People can become oral surgeons coming out of dental or medical school... I don't think its possible to become one without going through any of the two first.

Members don't see this ad :)
People can become oral surgeons coming out of dental or medical school... I don't think its possible to become one without going through any of the two first.
If you go to dental school you do not have to go to medical school to become an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. However if you go to medical school first, you must go to dental school before you can become an oral and maxillofacial surgeon.

Reactions: 2 users
As SwaggyPedro have stated, you can definitely become an oral surgeon without going to medical school as there are many programs that offer a four year residency that will allow one to perform most (if not all) oral and maxillofacial procedures without an MD certificate.

P.S. Just incase you didn't know, general dentists can extract wisdom teeth as well. Of course there are limits and general dentists must be comfortable doing so, and if not these cases are just referred to oral surgeons.

Reactions: 3 users
To be an OMFS you have to have completed dental school, not medical school, AND a 4-6 year OMFS residency program. Others posters above have pointed this out. The additional MD degree is awarded for those with a 6-year combined MD residency degree

Impacted 3rd molars can be extracted by General Dentists.

You don't go to medical school to become an oral surgeon.

You go to dental school and then you can either complete an independent 4 year residency program in oral surgery or you can do an integrated 6 year program where you complete 2nd and 3rd years of med school. Getting an MD degree does expand your scope of practice in any way.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't go to medical school to become an oral surgeon.

You go to dental school and then you can either complete an independent 4 year residency program in oral surgery or you can do an integrated 6 year program where you complete 2nd and 3rd years of med school. Getting an MD degree does expand your scope of practice in any way.

Where can I find information about the schools that have the OMFS residencies?