How to best make use of research time if I am not interested in an academic career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HemeOncBound87

Reaction score
Hello,
I am noticing a lot of programs on average have 18 months of clinical time and then 18 months of research time. I am interested in private practice but would like to go to a university program for exposure. How should I make use of the research time to best help me with my career and/or marketability for private practice jobs?

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you dive into a basic science project (which it sounds like you won't), at least half of your "research" time will be spent in clinic. Our program's clinical fellows are required to have 2.5 days of clinic/week. So don't worry about it.

Your research will likely be some feel-good QI project or some crap chart review that you can do to check the "academic project" box on your training plan.

A lot of the programs I interviewed with offered fellows going into private practice additional clinics if they wanted them. Some of them offered it in a different setting which was more community-like. When you interview you'll hear from the fellows and PDs