How to best strengthen my application for readmission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasmine1015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! First time poster but I would love some feedback.

I am a non traditional student who graduated college several years ago and have been working, volunteering and focusing on my MCAT since. I worked full time throughout undergrad, and while I do have an upward trend, my GPA is not where I’d like it to be. My LM is 60, and I’m focusing on DO. I actually received an interview to my state DO school, but was ultimately rejected due to my nerves during my interview (I called to ask for feedback).

While I plan to gain additional shadowing and volunteering opportunities while also working on my interview skills for a planned reapplication, I’m unsure what to do to increase my metrics. Should I retake my MCAT exam? The school recommended an SMP but the cost is high and I need to continue to work full time to pay bills. Would working towards the goal of a significantly higher MCAT and taking several courses at my undergrad as a DIY-postbacc be a decent option? I appreciate any and all help!

Members don't see this ad.

What are your cGPA and sGPA ? What is your MCAT score ? Where is your state of residence ?
Thank you for responding! My cGPA is a 3.4, sGPA is a 3.1, my MCAT is a 503, and I’m from Ohio.

Members don't see this ad :)
You do not need a SMP. You could take a couple science course at a local university in January to increase your sGPA. Your stats are competitive for the majority of DO schools and I suggest applying to all these;
OU-HCOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-ARKANSAS
BCOM
ICOM
UIWSOM
LUCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 3 users
You do not need a SMP. You could take a couple science course at a local university in January to increase your sGPA. Your stats are competitive for the majority of DO schools and I suggest applying to all these;
OU-HCOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-ARKANSAS
BCOM
ICOM
UIWSOM
LUCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
Thank you so much for your help; it is extremely appreciated and I will follow your advice exactly!