How to best study for QR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Tooth Guy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy all. I am scheduled to take the DAT on June 9th. I originally planned on taking it in August and applying the following cycle, but it turns out I am graduating a semester earlier than I thought. Trying to cram all the study materials in a month scares me a bit, but I feel like I am doing pretty well with the sciences so far.

The big issue is that I frankly do not remember anything from Stats, Trig, and Algebra. I haven't taken a math course in almost two years, so that does not help. It took me close to 2 and a half hours just to complete one practice test in the 2013 MATH DESTROYER, and even with all that time I got majority of the questions wrong.

How do you all recommend I prep for the QR section of the DAT? Should I just take the loss on it and focus on the sciences more? For reference, my GPA is somewhere around a 3.9 and my science GPA is somewhere around a 3.85 (grades aren't in yet so I'm not certain)

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely don't recommend tanking it. Although it might seem easier to just focus on the SNS, if you get a sub 16-17 score it will really reflect badly on you.

DAT Bootcamp has a killer QR program, the tests are super representative and the explanations are great. I thought the math destroyer (2017) was useful for some algebra questions, however it did not account for the newer quantitative comparison problems (of which I had 8-9), while DAT Bootcamp did. If you are still really struggling, there are some good videos on youtube you can look up for whichever topics you are having the most trouble with. I also had no trig on my test, but obviously every test is different (and I did take it a year ago).

Stick to it, it'll pay off. With your GPA you seem to be in a strong situation, but you should always aim for a 22+ in every section. It's doable if you put in the work!

Feel free to message me if you have any more questions, good luck!
Thanks for the tips! I guess my biggest issue was just finding a place to start, but just diving into the destroyer and looking up videos for what I don't understand is probably the way I'll go. I looked at your scores, and right on man! You killed that test. I'll certainly put my nose to the grindstone on this to try to keep the average high like yours.

Reactions: 1 user