how to best use anatomy atlas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stupid question, but...as I said previously, I'm trying to improve on practicals. I have Rohen's but haven't used it that much. I usually use NetAnatomy, which is a website our school uses and pulls many of our practical images from (also cadaver images.) So how do you tackle the atlas? Do you just sit and look at the pictures and try to grasp what's where and how everything relates to it? Do you stop while going over notes and look at the atlas as a visual aid?

Members don't see this ad.

Stupid question, but...as I said previously, I'm trying to improve on practicals. I have Rohen's but haven't used it that much. I usually use NetAnatomy, which is a website our school uses and pulls many of our practical images from (also cadaver images.) So how do you tackle the atlas? Do you just sit and look at the pictures and try to grasp what's where and how everything relates to it? Do you stop while going over notes and look at the atlas as a visual aid?

I use the atlas for relationships among parts. Best to tackle structures in small groups and focus on how they relate to each other in 3D space.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea how people made any sense of anatomy with just an atlas.

I stuck with a proper text (Moore's) and did well in both the class and the NBME.

I use the course note pack and lectures to get a feel for everything, use flash cards to learn OINA, borders and contents of spaces, etc., and gross lab to get a feel for how everything goes together and actually looks. I use a photo atlas shortly before the exam to quiz myself on identifying structures, simply guessing what number is what before looking at the key. I pretty much don't use my atlases other than pre exam review.

Use the UMich website and complete the modules before you go to class/lab. That was the method I used and I swear by it--got full credit on every single practical that way.

Grant's dissector does a great job filling in the relationships. It works great with a bunch of atlas's, and lists corresponding pages to look at.

Hi. Replace all labels qith letters and quiz yourself as you go through the material. Your score should improve witg every pass. I did this and aced my anatomy exam. Whatever book you use, it doesnt matter, anatomy is all the same.

I agree - Grant's points out the major relationships, but the pictures are absolutely terrible IMO.

Your opinion is shared lol, but it lists corresponding plates for the major atlases. I used it with netters.

I agree - Grant's points out the major relationships, but the pictures are absolutely terrible IMO.

I couldn't agree more. I ended up hating Grant's by the end of the course, which is a shame because it was the only resource available in lab unless you could snag one of the few copies of crusty Netters.