How to boost GPA? Canadian to US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheShowGoesOn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I am a Canadian currently taking my BScN (Nursing), my GPA is not competitive at the moment due to me slacking off during the first and second years of this program (though I might add it has been on an upward trend since second semester of 2nd year). After graduation I will be moving to the states, getting my green card while working and looking to pick up some additional courses so I can raise my gpa. Any ideas on how I should go about doing this? I will be looking to get into a DO program eventually.
* I have been reading up on this topic and there seem to be many mixed responses, some saying schools won't look at Canadian education and other stating I would need anywhere from 30-90 credits from an American institution.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

How to boost GPA?

Easy: Take classes, get better grades this time.

That is the one and only way to raise your GPA.

This is what I did, I took classes that overlapped each other in content simultaneously. For example, one semester I took biochem I, cell Bio, and microBio lecture. A lot of those lectures spend a good time talking about universal pathways in different ways, so things make sense pretty quickly. Another semester, I took differential equations, Dynamics for Engineers, and Advanced mathematical methods in Engineering the following semester. Again, any engineering course is pretty much all foreign language in math symbols but having taking those classes at the same time helped me understand the topics a lot better. Looking back, these two semesters were my only 4.0 semesters even though they involved some tough and time consuming classes. So try that, taking classes with overlapping subject material in the same semester. Might not be the easiest way, but I sure as hell learned the most this way. I didn't even plan this, my advisor put me through this crazy route but it worked for me since it fit my learning style

Members don't see this ad :)
How to boost GPA?

Easy: Take classes, get better grades this time.

That is the one and only way to raise your GPA.
Yes, I thought that went without saying. I guess I should have put emphasis on the Canadian education coming into the states for additional schooling. There have been posts by other members saying courses taken in Canada would be void in the states and one would have to take at least 90 credits of american classes to have medical schools consider their grades. Just looking for clarification on this matter as I had originally intended on doing a post-bacc; but I am now wondering if I would even be able to, or if I would have to do something completely different.

This is what I did, I took classes that overlapped each other in content simultaneously. For example, one semester I took biochem I, cell Bio, and microBio lecture. A lot of those lectures spend a good time talking about universal pathways in different ways, so things make sense pretty quickly. Another semester, I took differential equations, Dynamics for Engineers, and Advanced mathematical methods in Engineering the following semester. Again, any engineering course is pretty much all foreign language in math symbols but having taking those classes at the same time helped me understand the topics a lot better. Looking back, these two semesters were my only 4.0 semesters even though they involved some tough and time consuming classes. So try that, taking classes with overlapping subject material in the same semester. Might not be the easiest way, but I sure as hell learned the most this way. I didn't even plan this, my advisor put me through this crazy route but it worked for me since it fit my learning style
Did you take those courses on your own time? Just as a means of improving GPA? If I scratch the post-bacc I would hope that they allow a Canadian citizen to take additional courses at a 6 credit college/university

Did you take those courses on your own time? Just as a means of improving GPA? If I scratch the post-bacc I would hope that they allow a Canadian citizen to take additional courses at a 6 credit college/university

Not as a post-bac, but I added in a math minor because of all the overlap with my chem major. It worked out great for me, won't work out well for those that don't like math

If you are moving to the United States your gpa will skyrocket..... unless Canada's education system is horrible as well....

If you are moving to the United States your gpa will skyrocket..... unless Canada's education system is horrible as well....
From what I've heard Canada's education is better, was hoping to get some easy grades while I am down in the states.

US schools consider your Canadian grades. (Not other foreign grades though.) Maybe there's benefit to taking some classes in the US, but all of mine were done in Canada and I did not have any issues with it.
Thanks! Glad to hear.

I went from a Canadian institution to a top 100 US 4 year and I added 1.25 to my GPA without changing study habits. It was amazing.