How to boost my resume, etc..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dgeorg6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to be a sophomore in college and haven't started any volunteer work or anything to help with getting into medical school, so i was wondering what were some good ideas for me to do these next few years?

As of right now i have 42 hours completed, I have a 3.8 GPA majoring in biology, am in a fraternity, and I am thinking about joing the Student Gov...

I have planned to live with a cousin of mine for a few days to follow him around at his office (he is a dermatologist), but that is about the extent of my work thus far.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Do things that are related to what you are passionate about and also related to medicine (actually a lot easier to do than you think). Examples:

- Theater major friend of mine (really brilliant guy...going to be a M2 at UCSF) founded a club that did volunteer work with autistic kids and teaching them acting lessons.

- A girl who was a Spanish major used her skills to volunteer as a medical interpreter at an inner-city hospital.

- Friend who was on the club basketball team coached for a wheelchair basketball league. He was also a Molecular and Cell Biology major and did stem cell research.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you do it long term. In other words, don't do a series of small, one-time projects; get involved in one or two things that you do consistently, whatever those may be.

I second the idea of doing something medically related in order to kill two birds with one stone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would getting a job working as an ER tech or something of that nature look good? And what about random volunteer work that doesn't deal with medicine? Like help building a St Judes Home, or helping out at a food bank? My Mom works at a big hospital where I am from and i plan to volunteer up there alot in my summer time, but do i need more than that? What would be a good number of hours dedicated to volunteer work? Medically and just randomly?

Would getting a job working as an ER tech or something of that nature look good? And what about random volunteer work that doesn't deal with medicine? Like help building a St Judes Home, or helping out at a food bank? My Mom works at a big hospital where I am from and i plan to volunteer up there alot in my summer time, but do i need more than that? What would be a good number of hours dedicated to volunteer work? Medically and just randomly?

Getting a job isn't volunteering, so if you need volunteering, a job won't do.

Those ideas would be very good, but you just need to make sure to get in your clinical experience as well. Doing things that are volunteer positions and medically related are nice because they're efficient - you get both experiences in at once. But that's by no means a requirement. You'll just have to spend more time getting in separate clinical experience.

I would say a couple hours a week over a long time span would be more than sufficient.