How to build club connections with dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MowgliR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I just started a club at my school. I was wondering, how can I build a connection with the dentists in the area? I want people to refer to the club for dentistry info and connections. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

"Hey, do you think you would be interested in being a mentor or speaker for the dental club of ________ ?"

edit - In person always > over the phone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! any other ideas?

I believe the best bit of advice was already given to you. Go to the Dental Offices in the area you are considering using as mentors. ***DO NOT CALL!*** You want them to take time out of their lives to help guide/mentor the people in the club. Calling would show they you weren't willing to take the time out of your schedule to be personable and meet with them. Before you go, make sure you have a clear cut plan of what you want, what you expect, the frequency of visits/meetings, the time committments, etc. so that way you show to them that you have put thought into this and that they can make an educated decision if they have the time for meetig your expectations. I would probably say no to someone who cam to me for a mentoring program if I saw they were just winging it as the questions came up. Approach this in a well thought out and professional manner. Visit the office. Speak to the person at the front desk and explain to they what you want. Ask if there is a good time to meet with the Dr and if setting up an appointment to meet with him/her would be desired. That shows you are personable and not lazy by comming in, and are willing to work around the dentists schedule.

Hope that helps.

I believe the best bit of advice was already given to you. Go to the Dental Offices in the area you are considering using as mentors. ***DO NOT CALL!*** You want them to take time out of their lives to help guide/mentor the people in the club. Calling would show they you weren't willing to take the time out of your schedule to be personable and meet with them. Before you go, make sure you have a clear cut plan of what you want, what you expect, the frequency of visits/meetings, the time committments, etc. so that way you show to them that you have put thought into this and that they can make an educated decision if they have the time for meetig your expectations. I would probably say no to someone who cam to me for a mentoring program if I saw they were just winging it as the questions came up. Approach this in a well thought out and professional manner. Visit the office. Speak to the person at the front desk and explain to they what you want. Ask if there is a good time to meet with the Dr and if setting up an appointment to meet with him/her would be desired. That shows you are personable and not lazy by comming in, and are willing to work around the dentists schedule.

Hope that helps.
Exactly!

Going in goes the extra mile and shows your dedication, as mentioned. It's also harder to say no to someone in person than some random stranger calling.

Present the Dentists with a outline (document) with background info on the club (members, goals etc) and bullet points of what your looking to accomplish.

Perhaps a starting point would be to invite them as guest speakers, then slowly build the organization around structured opportunities to shadow, network etc.