How to build endurance for taking practice passages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guitarguy23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many passages per subject were you doing on average before you started taking any practice MCATs? I'm currently taking 3-4 in the science subject I'm studying that day, plus 4 in verbal.

I'm trying to work up to more before I take practice MCATs (about a month)

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't start developing any real feelings of endurance until I took my 10th (or so) practice exam. The whole time I was reviewing and doing practice questions I really felt like even a few passages could be taxing. Now (I just took my 20th full length test) I kinda feel like the test just whizzes by.

Just keep at it. The endurance you are talking about develops from taking the full length tests. Right now you should be focusing on getting the material down.

Good luck,

OT

i would suggest doing kegel exercises...

but on a serious note:
building up endurance takes time. the way you're prepping is good. slowly building up stamina and concentration with a few passages at a time and then eventually doing 7-8 passages at a time.

the best way to build even stamina would be to actually do practice tests because you'll eventually learn how to pace yourself and replenish your energy during those breaks. hence taking plenty of practice tests helps!

you could also perhaps focus on building endurance in 1hr intervals.
focusing on doing passages or discretes, or just simply intensely studying concepts etc for 1hr at a time then break for 10 minutes and simply return to studying again for another hour.
This last method isn't as good as the taking practice tests method but this method simply trains your brain to be active and concentrating for 1hr blocks.

best of luck!

I didn't start developing any real feelings of endurance until I took my 10th (or so) practice exam. The whole time I was reviewing and doing practice questions I really felt like even a few passages could be taxing. Now (I just took my 20th full length test) I kinda feel like the test just whizzes by.

Just keep at it. The endurance you are talking about develops from taking the full length tests. Right now you should be focusing on getting the material down.

Good luck,

OT

20 full lengths???? Which ones are we talking about besides the 3-10?