How to calculate overall GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qwerty85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me calculate my overall GPA? I have taken classes at two different undergraduate colleges so I have two different GPAs. To calculate my overall GPA do I take the average the two GPAs or do I add together the total course hours and points from both and then find the GPA?? I am not sure which is the correct way and I get a slightly different value for each.

Members don't see this ad.

If they were both out of 4.0 then you need to add up your total number of points and divide by the total number of credits. If they weren't both out of 4.0 then you'll have to do a conversion and I'm not sure how.

If all your classes were semester hours, multiply each semester hour by the grade value, sum those up and divide by total semester hours

[summation(semester hours * grade value)] / total semester hours = GPA

If you took courses under trimesters, terms or quarter hours, VMCAS has stated conversions. Schools may (or may not) have different conversions but you would need to obtain those from each school.