How to choose a loan lender

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vw200405

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I received my financial aid information for USF. Right now, I have to choose a lender for my loans. I had some questions about choosing a lender.

What are the most important things to consider when choosing a lender?
I found out information about the interest rates, fees, and repayment terms.
Are there any other important conditions that I should look at?

Out of the current USF students, do you have any tips on how to choose the lender?
What are the most important things that you considered in your decision? What lender did you choose and why?

Also, when you fill out the master promissory note, is it like a contract? If you want to change the school, will the lender transfer the loans to another school? Can you cancel the loan in the future if your financial situation changes?

If anybody has any other tips about choosing a lender, please let me know.

I have to choose between three loan lenders: Access Group, Sallie Mae, or Wells Fargo.

For all three lenders, the loan interest rate is 6.8%. All three lenders start repayment 6 months after graduation. But all three lenders have deferment programs during residency.

For Access Group, there is a 1% to 2.5% fee. For Sallie Mae, there is a 0% to 2% fee. For Wells Fargo, there is a 0% fee.

The annual loan limit with Access Group is $20500. The annual loan limit with Sallie Mae is $40500. The annual loan limit with Wells Fargo is $40500.

Which lender should I choose? Which lender has the best plan? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks and good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone.

I received my financial aid information for USF. Right now, I have to choose a lender for my loans. I had some questions about choosing a lender.

What are the most important things to consider when choosing a lender?
I found out information about the interest rates, fees, and repayment terms.
Are there any other important conditions that I should look at?

Out of the current USF students, do you have any tips on how to choose the lender?
What are the most important things that you considered in your decision? What lender did you choose and why?

Also, when you fill out the master promissory note, is it like a contract? If you want to change the school, will the lender transfer the loans to another school? Can you cancel the loan in the future if your financial situation changes?

If anybody has any other tips about choosing a lender, please let me know.

I have to choose between three loan lenders: Access Group, Sallie Mae, or Wells Fargo.

For all three lenders, the loan interest rate is 6.8%. All three lenders start repayment 6 months after graduation. But all three lenders have deferment programs during residency.

For Access Group, there is a 1% to 2.5% fee. For Sallie Mae, there is a 0% to 2% fee. For Wells Fargo, there is a 0% fee.

The annual loan limit with Access Group is $20500. The annual loan limit with Sallie Mae is $40500. The annual loan limit with Wells Fargo is $40500.

Which lender should I choose? Which lender has the best plan? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks and good luck.

Don't choose THE, they will drop you half way through medical school. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't choose THE, they will drop you half way through medical school. :mad:

Agree with this- and they won't give you any advance notice, just a line on the website when you go to renew your loans.