Dbate

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
So I am a college freshman and I am contemplating which major to pursue. I am doing really well in my political science and biology classes, and initially contemplated doing a double major in those fields. I really enjoy physics, however, so I was also thinking about majoring in that particular field. The only problem I have is that I am not as strong in math compared to poli sci and bio. My question is: Would you advise forgoing a physics major (which would likely have a lower GPA) for a bio/poli sci combo given that the end goal is the same: Medical School?

circulus vitios

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2008
No. I've pretty much decided against doing a physics major and I'm pretty strong in math (A in Calc I and II.) While physics would be crazy interesting, it's just too hard and too much work.

Dr Optimistic

7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2010
Status
Medical Student
(which would likely have a lower GPA)
If you love physics you can still get your fill with another major. If you go in expecting a lower GPA then this would not be advantageous. Med Schools aren't going to give you a pass because your major is math related.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Go towards a field which interests you. I wouldn't recommend physics for all of the reason's above but it's your call. Remember your major is your back up in case medical school turns out to be not for you, so be sure to pick something which you know you could enjoy.

IDoIt4Love

Breathe...just believe.
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2008
Status
Medical Student
pick something will do well in, and of the majors you can do well in, pick the one you love the most. do not pick something you love and will not do so well in, and do not pick something you hate, hoping you will do well. neither will work out too well.

keep in mind that your major will in no way affect your chances at admission; it's your grades that matter. also shatter this notion that science majors have an edge in the admissions process, as tempting and logical as that is to believe. they may have an edge as medical students by being familiar with the class material, but in admissions they have no real special edge over non-majors.

rHinO1

Grindin' Until I'm Tired
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
California
Status
Pre-Medical
The best advice I ever received was to major in whatever interested me the most. If you really like the classes you are taking then you will do better in them. If your major overlaps with the pre-med prereqs then that is even better, but don't let it influence you too much. Just get A's in whatever major you decide :luck:

Edit: IMO a double major is pointless. It will be harder on you and not pay off in any way.

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Double major may raise your GPA. Or depress it. Think very carefully.

Either way it's more work.