Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am currently in school full time and hoping to go to vet school. (I will know on the 14th whether I got in this year or not).

I put in my two weeks as a vet assistant at a clinic because part time hours were cut and it was a hostile environment. I currently have been offered a position as a server, however; I had a working interview today at another vet clinic and it went well. I don’t know when I’m going to hear back from the vet clinic. I am completely conflicted on what to do.

My original thought was to accept the offer as a server and wait to see if I’m offered the job at the vet clinic, and if so, tell my manager where I would serve that I have been offered a job opportunity I cannot refuse and that I was hoping to still work one small (5 hr shift) a week and much more during breaks. It is a college town but I’m still not sure if they will go for that.... I would make more money as a server, however; I don’t want to lose my clinical experience. I told the place that would hire me as a server that I’ll let them know by Monday whether I accept the job or not.

I don’t know what to do...
emoji22.png

I don't know what your financial situation is, but being a restaurant as a server is always a temporary position with high turnover. If you're a good assistant at a vet clinic, they won't want to let you go. If you wind up with both offers, you just need to be courteous to the restaurant manager so he/she can find someone else. Of course I don't know if you are able to keep both since you probably are going to be part-time at both positions, and it doesn't hurt you either way as long as you keep up your studies.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am currently in school full time and hoping to go to vet school. (I will know on the 14th whether I got in this year or not).

I put in my two weeks as a vet assistant at a clinic because part time hours were cut and it was a hostile environment. I currently have been offered a position as a server, however; I had a working interview today at another vet clinic and it went well. I don’t know when I’m going to hear back from the vet clinic. I am completely conflicted on what to do.

My original thought was to accept the offer as a server and wait to see if I’m offered the job at the vet clinic, and if so, tell my manager where I would serve that I have been offered a job opportunity I cannot refuse and that I was hoping to still work one small (5 hr shift) a week and much more during breaks. It is a college town but I’m still not sure if they will go for that.... I would make more money as a server, however; I don’t want to lose my clinical experience. I told the place that would hire me as a server that I’ll let them know by Monday whether I accept the job or not.

I don’t know what to do...
emoji22.png

From a veterinary standpoint, clinical hours and experience are a very important piece of your application. However, current employment is also important. I would take the restaurant job until you hear back. If you get the clinic job, just be kind and courteous to the restaurant and explain that this is part of your career goal. Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.