How to cite posters of abstracts you are a co-author on but did not present?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LAurawalters1227

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I did research prior to medical school and was a co-author on a publication. That abstract is being presented at two different conferences this year by the primary author. I know that a lot of students present posters throughout med school and that this looks good when applying to residencies. Is there any utility to listing the poster on my residency application? If so, does anyone have a good resource about how to cite that I was a co-author of the abstract, but not the presenter? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I did not list any posters that I didn’t personally present. I was advised that it wouldn’t add anything to my application and could look like padding, especially since I listed the respective papers themselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked my program's radiology PD and they said any poster, whether or not you presented it, with your name on it counts. What you do with it is up to you. If it's listed >1 time (or even 2 or 3... or 4) I wouldn't include it. But it's a delicate balance between getting a bigger CV and padding. Just work it.

Reactions: 2 users
I did not list any posters that I didn’t personally present. I was advised that it wouldn’t add anything to my application and could look like padding, especially since I listed the respective papers themselves.
That's obviously padding because you have the paper. If it's a large project with your name and someone presented part of it and your name is on it, and there is no other paper yet, totally not padding. Just highlight your order in authorship and be clear who presented it and when.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Everyone!

I did research prior to medical school and was a co-author on a publication. That abstract is being presented at two different conferences this year by the primary author. I know that a lot of students present posters throughout med school and that this looks good when applying to residencies. Is there any utility to listing the poster on my residency application? If so, does anyone have a good resource about how to cite that I was a co-author of the abstract, but not the presenter? Thank you!

So in order to kinda steer away from looking like you are padding I would create subtitles to your CV. Just list a main title called "peer-reviewed work". Then have subtitles of "manuscript", "abstracts", and "poster presentations". Anything in which you were a contributor but did not present put in abstracts. List where it was presented and if it was subsequently published in the conference supplemental journal if there is one.

In the poster presentations section, only list things that you presented.

Personally, I believe you should list work in which you contributed to, whether you presented it or not, as long as you were an author you absolutely deserve to put that in your bibliography.

Now if 2-3 pages of your CV are just abstracts that's a bit much, I would cut it down and just change the title to "selected abstracts" or something of that sort. Just select the one's you feel best represent your research interests.

Reactions: 1 users
That's obviously padding because you have the paper. If it's a large project with your name and someone presented part of it and your name is on it, and there is no other paper yet, totally not padding. Just highlight your order in authorship and be clear who presented it and when.

It’s worth noting that one of mine didn’t have an associated paper, but I was still not advised to list it. All of my poster presentations that were listed were ones I personally gave at school symposiums.

@AlteredScale probably has the best compromise if you want to list them/are weak on research otherwise.

After reading that post, I thought this was obvious? Certainly you shouldn't have it in the same places as manuscripts :laugh:

The question was about poster presentations vs abstracts. The issue was whether to list it and if so, which category it would fall under. Nothing to do with manuscripts.

Of note, though - on ERAS, I think the two categories are “manuscripts/abstracts” and “poster presentations”, so technically an abstract would be listed with manuscripts; you’d just label it differently.

Reactions: 1 user