How to Classify Summer Course Work on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinacol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Here is my situation:

I did my undergraduate work at a school in Oregon, but I took a summer art class in my hometown (to fulfill my art credit requirement) at a different school during the summer of my sophomore year. I'm not really sure how to classify this for AMCAS. The course appears on both my transcript from my hometown school and my actual undergraduate university. Does it matter which school I list the coursework under? If I try to list it under work from my hometown school, it will not let me say that I was in my sophomore year (it is making me choose between postbacc or graduate, neither of which are true). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to list this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I put my courses that I took at different schools under that school's 'transcript'. Yes, this course is still listed on my home institutions transcript with credit, but it does not have a grade associated with it.

Directly from the AMCAS handbook:

"Enter courses in chronological order exactly as they appear on the official transcript of the school where they were originally attempted. This is especially important to remember if the credit for a course was transferred from one U.S. or Canadian school to another.

For example, suppose you primarily attended the University of Maryland and took “Intro to Pottery” at your local community college over the summer. You would list the community college in the “Schools Attended” section of the application (and request an official transcript for it) and add “Intro to Pottery” as a course you took at the community college. You would not list the course under the University of Maryland, even if the credits were transferred there."

Reactions: 1 user