How to classify this EC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ADeadLois

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've worked for the last 5 summers in a cardiology research lab (after being a volunteer there for 3 years). I started out stuffing envelopes and sending follow-up letters to patients and entering their responses. Then I helped reconstruct one of their databases by converting stress test information from an old model to a new model (got my name on 2 abstracts). I also looked up how long a set of patients had been diagnoses with diabetes (got my name on a manuscript). Throughout this whole time, I shadowed a few doctors, and witnessed them performing stress tests and reading the results. Last summer, I discovered a trend in some data and began performing the statistics (an increased number of cardiac events following stress tests for those patients on calcium channel blockers). Unfortunately, nothing really came of this as the doc who I was working graduated from his fellowship and was too busy to really help write a publication.

I'm leaning towards putting this as a non-clinical work experience, as most of it is scutwork. However, I feel like the publications should be noted, and I think I got some valuable clinical experience in there as well. Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Seems cool to put it as research or nonclinical volunteering, but it doesn't read as clinical to me. Sorry...

:scared: It doesn't really matter. Med schools will have to read your description either way. The classification is a formality.