How to contact potential doctors to shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolfnscale

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've read a few threads on this and everyone kinda has a different answer. The last threads were posted a few to several years ago, so I hope no one minds me asking again.

The methods:
1. Ask a doctor your know: presumably, if you know them well and they know you, you can ask them via any method (in person, email, call/text).
2. Cold calling
3. Send an email and hope for a response
4. Call in some favors- if friends or parents know a doctor, maybe they can hook you up!

My specific curiosity is: approaching a doctor you don't know. In my case, my mother sees a doctor who I've heard is VERY well rounded in how he practices (very holistic M.D.). I'd love to see how he works. Despite him knowing my mother as a patient, he does not know me. Would the best way to ask him be via email? Or should I tag along with my parent next appointment?

I'm very worried about putting a doc in an awkward position, where they feel pressured to say yes. Especially if they have an audience when I ask. So, I'm feeling an email might be more appropriate.

What's your best method to avoid the awkwardness?

Members don't see this ad.

I have found that for me, the best way was to visit the clinic and speak to the physician in person. I'm sure an email or phone call would do just fine in some cases, but I also believe that showing up in person shows your strong interest in shadowing and allows the physician to see who he would potentially be allowing around his patients. I also like to think it makes it harder for them to say no when you're standing there in person! For my first shadowing experience, I just asked the receptionist if the doctor was available to speak for a few minutes regarding shadowing. He invited me back to his office and we spoke for 5 minutes or so; I ended up shadowing the following week! Lastly, I had no prior interaction with this physician. He was not a doctor of mine nor anyone that I know specifically.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user