reddirtgirl

10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
www.radioparadise.com
Status
This is a reposting from "the lounge"... I figured there's a few out there in allopathtic-land who have firsthand experience w/ this.....

How do you deal w/ moody, ultra-competitive, negative people that you have to work closely when they outrank you and can/do make your life unpleasant....

especially when you have to be around them for more than just a few weeks/months?

especially if you're both female (that female on female dominance/aggression thing is worse than all the other types- c'mon girls, ya know what I'm talking about)?

How does one cope w/ these types w/o becoming one of them?

Blake

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just ignore them. There are so many tools in med school, your only way to stay sane is to carefully choose who you hang out with. Best of luck :thumbup:

15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Status
Non-Student
Just ignore them. Medical school is not boot camp. Generally, you can spend as much or as little time with your classmates as you prefer, at least in first and second year.

I like everybody in my class but then I don't socialize much. I have been to one class social function in four years.

DebDynamite

Attending
10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
In something billowy
Status
If you are MS1 or 2, ignore them and stay as far away as possible. If in clinicals, do not let them realize that they are getting under your skin if possible, because someone else will and they will engage that person much more.

Giving My .02

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I ignore them. I remember my first time I encounted a really rude young girl in my 3rd grade class. I ran home telling my parents all the ugly things she said etc. My parents said something like "well there will always be a _________ _______ (name) in your life and you will find out there will be people worse than ___________ _________. And to their credit, they are right. So when I run into someone like that I just say to myself, boy they are just like __________ _________ (the girl from 3rd grade). Then I remember, I don't even know where that girl lives anymore, and that was like almost fifteen years ago. So this person giving me problems, I won't care about in lets say fifteen years, so I try not to let it get to me. That's how I handle those type of people. Weird process, but it helps.

gschl1234

15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
reddirtgirl said:
This is a reposting from "the lounge"... I figured there's a few out there in allopathtic-land who have firsthand experience w/ this.....

How do you deal w/ moody, ultra-competitive, negative people that you have to work closely when they outrank you and can/do make your life unpleasant....

especially when you have to be around them for more than just a few weeks/months?

especially if you're both female (that female on female dominance/aggression thing is worse than all the other types- c'mon girls, ya know what I'm talking about)?

How does one cope w/ these types w/o becoming one of them?
It sounds like you're forced to be around this person so I'll assume that simply avoiding her is impossible. Have you tried talking about your feelings with friends (real friends who won't go blabbing)? They can be very helpful and supportive and it's aways better to talk about things rather than bottling them up. Be sure not to let the mean classmate know that she bothers you. Maybe after time, the problem will resovle on its own. In any case, you don't want to burn bridges.