How to Deal with All the Stress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel very overwhelmed by the MCAT and prepping and applying for med school. How do I deal with not letting the stress ruin me?:(

Members don't see this ad.

crowne and coke.

try studying for mcat while also having open applications out :oops:

Set a schedule for yourself that is reasonable and will adequately prepare you for the MCAT and meeting app deadlines (your deadlines, not theirs). By breaking it down to a daily set of goals, you'll feel less stressed knowing that you're on target for your long term objectives and feel good about meeting your daily goals. Also be sure to make time for exercise/down time regularly.

If all else fails, try the Crowne and Coke. :p

I'm trying to deal with some of the application stuff now that I can get done so it won;t be stressing me out later this spring when the MCAT is closer. I am getting my LOR's lined up, working on my personal statement, collecting transcript request forms, making lists of every EC I ever did, etc. I'm also making a set schedule for MCAT study time and taking practice tests in addition to the ones in my review course. I think the key for me is trying to take it one days at a time and not getting totally overwhelmed by things that going to happen in a few months. And I work out every day. that helps a lot. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing that works the best for me is have a set routine, for example I would always go to the same spot at the library and study there throughout my set mcat studying time. I think this helps me because it does offer me a sense of order in all this chaos.

Originally posted by lmbebo
crowne and coke.

I second that motion.

And, set a schedule. If you work or go to school...set aside 1-2 hours a night to study and work problem sets. Also, so at least 3 verbal passages a day.

Just remember...that Saturday will be the most stress-filling and stress-relieving day. After 7:00 pm, you'll be so drunk that it won't matter.

I know this is off topic, but i'm kindo confused... wont we have time for everything else but the mcat, after the MCAT (spare transcripts, i'm getting them now). but, aren't LORs with teh secondary? I really should know this, I know...

Thanks,
Sonya

Sonya,

I didn't mean to confuse you with my post. I'm doing the LOR stuff now because the college I graduated from has a pre-med committee and they are anal and want most of the stuff in early. But there are a couple of letters I will get later. For me it's a pain because I'm across the country from most of my letter writers and the schools I attended peior to this. If you're using a letter service I'd check to see what their deadlines are. it's probably like June or July since the LORs do go with the secondaries.

Originally posted by azpremed
I'm trying to deal with some of the application stuff now that I can get done so it won;t be stressing me out later this spring when the MCAT is closer. I am getting my LOR's lined up, working on my personal statement, collecting transcript request forms, making lists of every EC I ever did, etc. I'm also making a set schedule for MCAT study time and taking practice tests in addition to the ones in my review course. I think the key for me is trying to take it one days at a time and not getting totally overwhelmed by things that going to happen in a few months. And I work out every day. that helps a lot. Good luck.

Yeah, but also don't forget that you are listening to your bobby dylan cds to relieve some of that stress :)

Just remember that everyday you are getting closer to being done with the MCAT and this will complete a huge part of the application process (for me probably the worst since I don't really mind doing application stuff) Also, try to get your daily dose of socializing so you are ready to work when the time comes.

LOr's are due when secondaries come rolling in, but we know that these could potentially start coming in sometime in August. Well, knowing how professors are and how slow things can go, it is best to get them rolling now.

For dealing with the stress, I make a list of all the subject material that I need to know for the MCAT. Each time I study something fromm the list I feel a little better knowing that I am one item closer to being prepare for the exam.

do some normal things with your friends once in a while. going out once in a while, a movie.........

Originally posted by lmbebo
crowne and coke.

try studying for mcat while also having open applications out :oops:

dude are u from canada???? crown rules my world

I've booked a guest house in St. John the week after the MCAT, and my computer desktop is a picture of the view from the hot tub. So, whenever I start to get overwhelmed/stressed out, I just look at that picture and know that that one week in paradise will be SO worth 3 months in hell. (And no, my parents aren't paying for it, and I make a whopping $10.10/hr while paying rent in Boston- I am just someone who needs to have a carrot. In this case, a really BIG carrot). So my advice is to bribe yourself. ;)

I have to up the idea of setting a structured study time into every day so that even when my anxiety starts to jump I can say: whoa! you are going to do 50 GChem problems tonight and you read chapter such and such last night, etc. Even on the train (NYC) I am reading the damn freakin' Kaplan cards as I commute to my job (1 hour each way).

Now that it's getting closer I find that in odd moments I can stop and think about techniques on how to 'attack' passages, or I run physics formulas thru my head for practice. I know, do I sound completely mental? My friends are very patient with me ... :p

Because I just started back to work I have to study around the job and I have completely given up on my EC's and just put the tv into the other room and unplugged it. Everything is put to one side and I am entering the MCAT Zone and total immersion. I guess like going to France and learning the language because you have no other choice.

Umm, really stupid question... What on arse is crowne?

I started studying like crazy for the MCAT in November and now I am dealing with the classic "man, I already looked at this 1000 times, I can't deal anymore" kind of thing. So I divided my studying into "reading" week and "doing problems" week. I am also taking a physiology class to lighten the load of the bio/physics review...

I'm going to a spa and getting a massage and a pedicure the day before the MCAT.

Originally posted by Bostonienses

Whiskey

I suggest Sangria. Wines are the best! :p

For me, the best way to deal with all the overwhelming amount of studying is to set a goal for each day: how many chapters you plan to finish and how many hours u plan to commit on a certain section each day. One weekend, I took 5 min out and wrote down for each day how many hours I have minus classes, lunch/dinner/sleep. Keeping a schedule helps me becoz i work best with schedules. Try this method, it will help you organize and not stress you out.

Originally posted by Bostonienses

Crown royal baby crown royal great candian whiskey get with hte program:)

Originally posted by JulianCrane
I feel very overwhelmed by the MCAT and prepping and applying for med school. How do I deal with not letting the stress ruin me?:(

It is very very important that you do deal with the stress; I know that the stress is incredible, but you can get through it! :)

1) Have fun
2) set goals for yourself..realistic, yet ones that will take hard work to attain
3) friends and family and church
4) remind yourself why you're doing it...
5) work out every single day....believe me, this helps tremendously...
6) maintain a good sleep schedule and good work schedule
7) be prepared to sacrifice

any more specific ?'s? Those were pretty general categories...

Blitzkrieg gave you a solid list of time-honored life principles. There's no magic to such things, and almost everyone struggles more than they let on because they're trying to put on a front of invincibility...or they're just arrogant idiots and actually think they are invincible (and are soon to be proven wrong).

Balance is one important key to staying happy and successful through stressful times; and trust me, it only gets more important during med school and beyond. As much as I like SDN for some things, I wouldn't use this as my therapy-like source for good mental health. The mix of comments, inflated scores, and gunner-type perspectives on here can sometimes be quite different from reality. If you are actually looking for a formal outlet, I'd go to a school counselor. Most schools have psychologists just for that purpose, helping students deal with life and stress, and there's no shame in finding someone to talk to. For me personally, my faith in a Higher Power is BY FAR the thing that gets me through any and all obstacles.

Warm wishes!