How to deal with family pressuring you to go into a specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@LordLana - I really hope you take some philosophy/logic and composition courses when you finish high school. Not just for your own sake, but for that of those with whom you try to communicate. I don't mean that as an insult either.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Would appreciate some updates from the OP. This sounds like such a malignant relationship...

In other news, this thread is such cringe-worthy gold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

She's begrudgingly accepted of my decisions, though I think she'll warm up to it. I think she fetishizes FPs. Also I'm not touching this thread with a 10 foot stick again.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
She's begrudgingly accepted of my decisions, though I think she'll warm up to it. I think she fetishizes FPs. Also I'm not touching this thread with a 10 foot stick again.

What a relief knowing I've achieved my initial purpose in even posting here in the first place.

In fact I'd say my comment was probably the one that stood out to the OP and did it for him.

I win.:thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user

Not sure what's worse, the fact that she is trying to dictate your specialty choice based on her preconceived, ill-informed opinions or the fact that she fetishes FPs?

Not sure what's worse, the fact that she is trying to dictate your specialty choice based on her preconceived, ill-informed opinions or the fact that she fetishes FPs?

Maybe she's turned on by someone that can be her PCP, psychiatrist, deliver all her babies, also be their pediatrician. I mean, she's probably just looking for a spouse that can service all her Munchausen needs himself...

Reactions: 3 users
I can't believe everyone who is saying point-blank: dump her. As if you can just find another fiance at the fiance store hahaha.

In all seriousness, OP, forget the parents thing. Focus on the fiance. I think you should really try to sit with her and talk in detail about this. I honestly have a hard time believing that this lady is literally going to not marry you if you become a psychiatrist. If this is true, then yeah, she's not the most compelling future spouse. But you love her and you can't just let it all go because of something that can be negotiated. Idk, this all seems fishy to me.

"My family and fiancée have always been supportive of my choices" vs. "I started medical school wanting to do psych or path."

Focus on the YOU.

Think LONG and HARD about why you wanted to become a doctor, what interested you then, what interests you now, and what will keep you interested tomorrow until the day you DIE.

Personally, I'd leave someone and block out my family FIRST before I ever let them chose my career. But, my opinion may be biased as I am a non-trad pre-med and have worked in Finance for 10 years, been through several relationships, and learned that I am not my parents, which has set me on my current path as a non-trad pre-med.

At the end of the day, you must chose what you will be satisfied doing, DAY-IN AND DAY-OUT! This will be what you put you sweat and tears into. What you will wake up to... Can you imagine not wanting to get out of bed because you hate your job.

I am leaving Finance after being very successful, but cannot see myself doing this work for the next 30-40 years, let alone in 10 years.

You must first understand what you are comfortable being, doing, and whom you want to be surrounded by. I challenge you to ask yourself at the deepest level if your current situation is what you are TRULY comfortable in and what YOU envisioned your life would be like and that the path before you is what YOU hope it will be.

The biggest mistake people make (and I've had many before me and around me whom have shared their regrets after many years of success) is that they began their path because they wanted to make their parents, their father, their partner, etc. proud, but at the end of the day they finally realized that they made huge mistakes. Today, they are very successful, rich but total failures in their own eyes. These are doctors, lawyers, judges, politicians that I have been fortunate enough to have met and developed meaningful relationships with.

I began my own path to my current success as a means of survival, but now I realize after being told on many occasions by bosses, mentors and very close friends that no matter what I set my mind to, that I can and will be a success. But in those days, not too many years ago, I could only see the few steps before me that laid the path to surviving and being slightly better than I was at that moment.

You must see beyond surviving and see where you want to land and stay for a while. If not, you will only be working to survive your job until you reach retirement. Maybe you will be lucky enough to find success and find ways to make surviving less painful, but you will not be whom you dream to become.

Do you.
Ignore the rest.
Because one day, you will wake up old and full of regret.
Let that scare you into making the right decision for you now and for you tomorrow.

My family and fiancée have always been supportive of my choices, but recently they've been seriously pressuring me about specialties to consider - and to not consider.

I started medical school wanting to do psych or path. My fiancée thought I'd grow out of it, and said she'd support me, but recently has told me in no uncertain terms that she will not be married to a psychiatrist or a pathologist. It's not about the money (shes been dropping "hints" that wants me in FM) - it's about the stigma. Psychiatrists are "pill pushers" who "aren't real doctors anyway" and "why would you bust your ass in medical school just to tread depression?" Also, pathologists are "creepy as f**k." She says that these aren't HER opinions, rather that this is "the world we live in." She also says that "psychiatry and pathology are important fields but I just wouldn't be attracted to you anymore." I hate to say it, but she might have a point.

My mom and dad agree with her - even though my mom is a child psychiatrist. My mother said that psychiatry is an "unfitting" profession for a male doctor and that she would be "a little embarrassed." My dad thinks psychiatry is a really important and vital field... but not for his son. Both my mom and dad think pathology is "for scientists, not for doctors." Neither of them or my fiancée wanted me to go to medical school, but they said "if you're going to medical school, you're going to be a real doctor." Incidentally, none of them see a difference between an MD and a DO, so as a DO I guess small blessings.

What do you do when you love a field, but you also love your family, your fiancée, and take their opinions seriously? The politically correct answer is always gonna be "screw their opinions and follow your dreams," but unfortunately I live in reality, and the opinions of people I love are important to me.

Make sure you look at lifestyle because you do not want to end up in a field you hate with a bad lifestyle on top of it. We all get the pressure. Life does not get easier as you get older with kids. A "real doctor".... there is no such thing as a real doctor anymore. Medicine is owned by corporations and the real doctors are just slaves to the big machine. These people are trying to make a decision for you without any real exposure to the current climate and future. Make sure you do you. Won't be attracted to you? I never heard such crazy talk in my life. Don't do a field because you think it will make you attractive, money, or impress your family. You will hate your life for 30 years and lose your life to a profession you are unfulfilled from. It is better to take a year off and figure it all out if need be.

A "real doctor".... there is no such thing as a real doctor anymore. Medicine is owned by corporations and the real doctors are just slaves to the big machine...........----> I never heard such crazy talk in my life.

Tf?

Class of 2021, wait until 2022 you will understand more.

1548.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah it's true. Medicine has become a corporatized field, it's sad honestly. I've had multiple doctors at my work joke with me and ask when I'm moving to go get on the conveyor belt. And these are all guys that helped me decide on medicine and like their jobs

Nah it's true. Medicine has become a corporatized field, it's sad honestly. I've had multiple doctors at my work joke with me and ask when I'm moving to go get on the conveyor belt. And these are all guys that helped me decide on medicine and like their jobs
I think they mean they think you're better fit for the factory. Also just lol at defining what a "real doctor" is.

My family and fiancée have always been supportive of my choices, but recently they've been seriously pressuring me about specialties to consider - and to not consider.

I started medical school wanting to do psych or path. My fiancée thought I'd grow out of it, and said she'd support me, but recently has told me in no uncertain terms that she will not be married to a psychiatrist or a pathologist. It's not about the money (shes been dropping "hints" that wants me in FM) - it's about the stigma. Psychiatrists are "pill pushers" who "aren't real doctors anyway" and "why would you bust your ass in medical school just to tread depression?" Also, pathologists are "creepy as f**k." She says that these aren't HER opinions, rather that this is "the world we live in." She also says that "psychiatry and pathology are important fields but I just wouldn't be attracted to you anymore." I hate to say it, but she might have a point.

My mom and dad agree with her - even though my mom is a child psychiatrist. My mother said that psychiatry is an "unfitting" profession for a male doctor and that she would be "a little embarrassed." My dad thinks psychiatry is a really important and vital field... but not for his son. Both my mom and dad think pathology is "for scientists, not for doctors." Neither of them or my fiancée wanted me to go to medical school, but they said "if you're going to medical school, you're going to be a real doctor." Incidentally, none of them see a difference between an MD and a DO, so as a DO I guess small blessings.

What do you do when you love a field, but you also love your family, your fiancée, and take their opinions seriously? The politically correct answer is always gonna be "screw their opinions and follow your dreams," but unfortunately I live in reality, and the opinions of people I love are important to me.

Wow, what does your fiancée do if you don't mind my asking ? Maybe since she disproves of everything you want to do she can just support you financially for life and you can be a stay at home Dad. Bring this up with her and please update with her response...

I still can't get over how messed up this is. You're a doctor. Period. The pathology in your family is pretty egregious. Not being attracted to someone anymore because of the residency they attend? That is BS, and just an excuse to make you afraid because it is personal. (There are many kinks out there, foot fetish, BDSM etc, but I haven't yet heard of a family medicine fetish.) The reality is that she just doesn't think she can brag to her friends as much if you're a psychiatrist, rather than a "real doctor." I know it may be hard...but I suggest you run, never look back, and find someone who is happy when you are happy.

you need to dump your fiancee... and your parents

I can't believe everyone who is saying point-blank: dump her. As if you can just find another fiance at the fiance store hahaha.

In all seriousness, OP, forget the parents thing. Focus on the fiance. I think you should really try to sit with her and talk in detail about this. I honestly have a hard time believing that this lady is literally going to not marry you if you become a psychiatrist. If this is true, then yeah, she's not the most compelling future spouse. But you love her and you can't just let it all go because of something that can be negotiated. Idk, this all seems fishy to me.

Not getting married >>>>>>>>>>>>>> getting married to someone who is an ass

Ask anyone who is unhappily married (especially with kids). It's a living hell. If you can't find someone who likes you for YOU, you're better off alone loving yourself. Not to mention, pretty much everyone can find someone. You just have to look hard enough

Better to live your life for your own sake rather than be a slave to someone else's idea of how you should live your life.

Follow your dreams. Otherwise you will be miserable and resent them forever.

Sounds like Psych is perfect for you. You can treat your ex fiance after dumping her a$$:confused:

If this really means so much to you (her dumping you if you go into Psych or Path), then you have way too many insecurities of your own. Sorry for being blunt.

Seriously whatever specialty you choose, even FP, I would encourage you to end that dysfunctional relationship and leave the fiancé.

Dump her ass.

Sounds like a whiny, entitled brat that wants superficial ****.

I can already predict what's gonna happen OP.

She dictates what field you go to. Then it's going to be where you will work. Then how many hours you work to support her bull**** shopping habits and spending habits you've bestowed upon her entitled ass. Then she will get lonely... and mad that "you don't have time for me anymore". But how can you when wifey wants that new Persian rug and is calling interior decorators to decorate the house... and the shoes..and purses... and all that dumb ****.

Then the distance will grow... next thing you know she wants to "have a talk" in the kitchen that things are not working out. Her relationship with the kids is starting to develop closer since "daddy never has time for us" and she'll turn their bratty asses against you too.

Boom. Divorce.

Now your ass is stuck paying her half and alimony for the kids that go to expensive private schools that SHE pushed upon them that probably hate your ass too due to the fact they have been brainwashed by mommy.

Your goals will never wake up in the morning and tell you they don't love you anymore.

Man the **** up. Get your **** done homie.

Disregard females, and acquire curren$y.

Not all women are the same. There are plenty of good women that will support their husband's career choices.

I really want to know what the outcome of this is.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Fiancée cheated on me with an IM attending, dumped her like a bad habit (she did me a favor). I’m now dating an IMG psych resident at a nearby hospital. Parents have since come around, or so they say.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Fiancée cheated on me with an IM attending, dumped her like a bad habit (she did me a favor). I’m now dating an IMG psych resident at a nearby hospital. Parents have since come around, or so they say,
I feel horrible for you. However, from someone who has had to go through a divorce, be glad that she showed her true colors before getting married. I feel for you.

Fiancée cheated on me with an IM attending, dumped her like a bad habit (she did me a favor). I’m now dating an IMG psych resident at a nearby hospital. Parents have since come around, or so they say,

This is an awful thing to have happen to you, but you dodged a 50 caliber bullet my friend. You will have (hopefully already have) a better and happier life without her

Fiancée cheated on me with an IM attending, dumped her like a bad habit (she did me a favor). I’m now dating an IMG psych resident at a nearby hospital. Parents have since come around, or so they say.

Seriously, you dodged a bullet. Be thankful that she was ridiculous enough to do that.

Its horrible, but the second I saw the post above, all I thought was, "huh, I guess not an FP fetish, but a PCP one".

Real insightful contribution from a real pleasant guy here

I mean... he’s not wrong. I’m not looking for sympathy, this was definitely my bad. Lots of my friends told me she was wrong for me, and I ignored them as well. I paid for it.

I mean... he’s not wrong. I’m not looking for sympathy, this was definitely my bad. Lots of my friends told me she was wrong for me, and I ignored them as well. I paid for it.
No, you didn’t pay for it. You lucked out that she showed her true self before it was too late.

She didn't even cheat with big shot physician like a surgeon or radiologist or a cardiologist etc...; she cheated with just an IM attending :p. She wasn't definitely a girl you should have put your faith on...

You didn’t pay for it. You learned from it without losing half your paycheck, assets, and retirement. Welcome to being a male doctor. Choose wisely.

Reactions: 6 users
what does this say about the IM attending your slore-ass ex (no offense... lolz) chose to cheat with?

What a doucher.

Special kind of place in hell for those douchers

what does this say about the IM attending your slore-ass ex (no offense... lolz) chose to cheat with?

What a doucher.

Do you know the guy knew she was engaged? Even so, can you really expect some horny dude to give a **** about some guy he doesn’t know? This one falls on OP’s foamce, not the guy. Though I personally prefer not pissing in other men’s streams, it’s not that simple.

What a doucher.

The guy did him a favor by exposing her for what she was.

You didn’t pay for it. You learned from it without losing half your paycheck, assets, and retirement. Welcome to being a male doctor. Choose wisely.
Do you know the guy knew she was engaged? Even so, can you really expect some horny dude to give a **** about some guy he doesn’t know? This one falls on OP’s foamce, not the guy. Though I personally prefer not pissing in other men’s streams, it’s not that simple.

I think it’s a crappy thing to have sex with someone you know is in a relationship.

But I strongly believe two things:

1) cheating is the fault of the cheater, not the partner they cheat with.
2) ...EXCEPT when the partner and the dude being cheated on know each other. In that case, the partner is absolutely at fault also, because that means you’re being betrayed by two people.

I’ve never met the attending, I got nothing against him. Like I said, it’s a crappy thing to do but he doesn’t know me; he doesn’t owe me anything. If we knew each other beforehand, though, that would be a different story. That would be two people I’d need to cut out of my life.

Once you start talking close friends and family members though, there’s a special place in hell for both of them.

I think it’s a crappy thing to have sex with someone you know is in a relationship.

But I strongly believe two things:

1) cheating is the fault of the cheater, not the partner they cheat with.
2) ...EXCEPT when the partner and the dude being cheated on know each other. In that case, the partner is absolutely at fault also, because that means you’re being betrayed by two people.

I’ve never met the attending, I got nothing against him. Like I said, it’s a crappy thing to do but he doesn’t know me; he doesn’t owe me anything. If we knew each other beforehand, though, that would be a different story. That would be two people I’d need to cut out of my life.

Once you start talking close friends and family members though, there’s a special place in hell for both of them.

Damn.

You're a good guy Peach.

I eff with you bro bro.

You're an OG amongst these parts of SDN and one of my favs on here.

Sorry that this crap happened to you because I believe that wasted time is much worse than wasted money.

I pray that God (or whomever or whatever you believe in) blesses you with something better and that everything falls into place for you and you see nothing but positivity, blessings, and good fortune in all aspects of your life my guy!

I’ve watched multiple colleagues pay $10k plus per month in alimony and child support for years. Lost half their nest eggs to boot. One beat the crap out of the trim carpenter his wife was banging while he worked on his house- had to pay that guy to go away and not press charges.
You’re the luckiest dude on the planet. Seriously.