How to deal with racist patient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dallasmavericksko

Reaction score
I was on night shift yesterday and we admitted a new patient in the ED who, at the end of the H&P, proceeded to ask me what ethnicity am I and “if I brought the covid with me.” I am Asian American and I just was in shock. I guess he saw that and quickly said he was just joking. I just left the room as quick as possible and didn’t know how to process that.

This got me thinking: what would you do if you encountered a racist patient? Is there someone you can report the incident to? Can you ask to have someone else take care of the patient?

Members don't see this ad.

I was on night shift yesterday and we admitted a new patient in the ED who, at the end of the H&P, proceeded to ask me what ethnicity am I and “if I brought the covid with me.” I am Asian American and I just was in shock. I guess he saw that and quickly said he was just joking. I just left the room as quick as possible and didn’t know how to process that.

This got me thinking: what would you do if you encountered a racist patient? Is there someone you can report the incident to? Can you ask to have someone else take care of the patient?
You can always ask to have someone else take the pt.

but Jesus! That’s like antagonizing the waiter at a restaurant...you know there will be spit on your food...🤦🏽‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Would discuss with our Hospitalist triage staff and let them know the issue, request reassignment of patient to other Hospitalist. Our group is pretty supportive and would take care of it.

That said racism in and of itself doesn’t bother me so much as out right hostility- a patient like this wouldn’t make me blink, I might tell him to cut the crap, and if he responded like your guy did I would just move on. He has enough shame to recognize the behavior is unacceptable, no need to make a problem out of it, I’m not here to change the guy’s life perspective just treat his heart failure or whatever.

no need to feel obligated to allow abuse, nor to let every little ignorant statement bother you either imo. Where I trained people of my ethnic background are rare and comments like these often reflected the lack of familiarity with non white people more than any hostility to “me and my people” so I try to be discerning about real threats to my well-being vs well meaning idiots

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The short answer is, it depends. Do you have a relationship with patient already?

I would be very blunt and non-emotional and tell them that is not appropriate. The patient/physician relationship is a professional relationship. You can’t terminate the relationship if you have an established one. And giving a rasicst patient to a colleague is often just dumping a PIA patient to someone else. If your patient relations group has any stones, they can be helpful In explaining the inappropriateness of what patients can do. We don’t honor patient request to change doctors based on race or religion, nor do we let patients change doctors because they aren’t giving them IV narcotics.

I know this can be super frustrating and agrivating, but it really does go a lot better if you don’t get angry.

Reactions: 1 user
I would have actually called that out. Don't let this stuff go unchecked. I know as students/residents we're at the bottom of the food chain but racism should never be tolerated in any context. You don't have to be intimidating about it either. I know it's harder in the actual position of someone who had this said to them. What I would have recommended saying was "sir, I don't appreciate the humor in that...you may very well have not meant it to be, but your statement was hurful to me". I would personally leave it for the end so that it doesn't disrupt the flow of the interview. Try not to accuse him/her of being anything, just state what he/she said and explain why you felt it was hurtful.

I used to be of the mentality to just ignore such things and just try to do my job but after an experience in residency, I changed my mind. I was admitting a frequent flier often admitted for missed dialysis and he was in for the same thing. He claimed we had messed up his BP medications (discharged with on his previous visit) and would not allow me to get a proper history without cursing and I told him that was not appropriate language for the hospital to which he responded "go back to your ^&(&*^ country" and would not back down. I excused myself to de-escalate the situation and had my intern finish the history. I mentioned it to my attending in passing and he was upset about it too so we discussed it with the nurse manager who said she would report it up the chain. I chart reviewed the patient and searched "yelled" and found 5 hits spanning from 2002 to then with several accounts of him abusing nurses verbally, using xenophobic/homophobic language. Me reporting this may or may not have done anything ultimately, but we need to do our best to confront these sort of things because if it happens to you, it's likely going to happen to someone else too.

Last edited:
As someone who is Asian, I would have no shame in being an a**hole back to him

Here's a detailed document. Your hospital likely has something similar. https://www.mcgaw.northwestern.edu/docs/biased-patient-behavior-toward-staff-policy.pdf