How to deal with really nice, friendly, joking preceptor??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FractureFixer

Break it and you buy it!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am doing a rotation, and my preceptor is cool and all. But he just keeps joking about everything under the sun. When a patient asks a serious question he tells them the answer then makes some funny joke. Some patients are annoyed also. Is see patients before he does and some have told me, tell {mr. preceptor} not to joke today I am really worried about this!!
I have a hard time pretending to laugh at his stupid jokes (trying to get honors) and it is making me hate medicine. I mean did he want to be a doctor or a rodeo clown???

Help!! What should I do??

Members don't see this ad.

So I am doing a rotation, and my preceptor is cool and all. But he just keeps joking about everything under the sun. When a patient asks a serious question he tells them the answer then makes some funny joke. Some patients are annoyed also. Is see patients before he does and some have told me, tell {mr. preceptor} not to joke today I am really worried about this!!
I have a hard time pretending to laugh at his stupid jokes (trying to get honors) and it is making me hate medicine. I mean did he want to be a doctor or a rodeo clown???

Help!! What should I do??

Don't laugh at his bad jokes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well actually you want to be an intern in a specialty, so that pretty much is a rodeo clown. And hey, if he's throwing out stupid jokes you should join in. Make a game of it.

Just be extremely thankful you what sounds to be a laid back preceptor and not a complete jerk...seriously, just laugh along as much as you can and try to learn as much as you can. Better this than someone who yells at you everyday or ignores you!

Just be extremely thankful you what sounds to be a laid back preceptor and not a complete jerk...seriously, just laugh along as much as you can and try to learn as much as you can. Better this than someone who yells at you everyday or ignores you!

This is going to sound weird. But I actually would rather have someone yell at me or ignore me. Cuz if I was being ignored I wouldnt have to talk to him (I have social anxiety, so that could be why) and I would feel less anxious. With this guy talking to me I am anxious the whole day...which really tires me out!

Don't post your school name on an internet forum in big red letters when it is preceded by a sensitive and unique story (for starters . . . .)
That is a good idea!:laugh: Im sure he doesnt read this thread anyways!