How to deal with stress and information overload in second year MSII

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndigoBoy0

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had experience with how to get through MS II. I obviously just barely got through MS I, but I've been struggling for the past few weeks since MSII has started. It seems like the information and lectures are never ending, you have no time to learn hours of information and information is presented at about 4X the amount and speed of MSI. I am getting more stressed than ever before and don't know how to deal with this. I never sleep enough and even when I do stay up can never ever finish everything on my list. I know this is part and parcel of second year but it seems pretty miserable so far and its only just the beginning - and to top this off I massively failed my first pharamcology "quiz" which was on the first two week sof material - I went to all classes, stayed on top of things, reviewed with my study partner and wasn't quite sure at all where i went wrong with this exam. I am reviewing it with the prof. this week. I guess I need just need guidance on how to sanely and successfully get through what seems like it will be an atrocious year.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had experience with how to get through MS II. I obviously just barely got through MS I, but I've been struggling for the past few weeks since MSII has started. It seems like the information and lectures are never ending, you have no time to learn hours of information and information is presented at about 4X the amount and speed of MSI. I am getting more stressed than ever before and don't know how to deal with this. I never sleep enough and even when I do stay up can never ever finish everything on my list. I know this is part and parcel of second year but it seems pretty miserable so far and its only just the beginning - and to top this off I massively failed my first pharamcology "quiz" which was on the first two week sof material - I went to all classes, stayed on top of things, reviewed with my study partner and wasn't quite sure at all where i went wrong with this exam. I am reviewing it with the prof. this week. I guess I need just need guidance on how to sanely and successfully get through what seems like it will be an atrocious year.

^This

But in all seriousness... I'm an M2 as well. It has been overwhelming so far but I'm learning how to study efficiently as a second year as I go (it's been a month).

A few things I've discovered in this short time:
1) Make really really good review sheets and compartmentalize so that when you go over material subsequent times after, it is all clear and concise and without the excess minutia.
2)Try to get as many passes over the information as possible. It's tough but try not to memorize everything your first pass.
3) Review past a few lectures as you study each day (even if its for just 30-45min).
4) Review EVERYTHING you learned for that week during the weekend.
5) Do as many practice questions as you can.

6) Don't go to class.

I'm still trying to improve as I did pretty well M1 year but am now discovering that M2 is totally different.

Yeah the idea is to do two passes, then a cumulative review pass every week / before exam, and tons of practice questions. At least that's how I do it:

First pass: Lecture (or read note/book/watch recording if you're into that)
Second pass: Reannotate / read over notes after class
Third pass: Review every week and/or go to group review sessions
Practice questions: Professors post them, and the group review sessions have old practice questions / exam questions, and then there's databases online...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is a second pass more effective the same day as the lecture/notes/book/whatever or the day after? Or do both if you have time(pshh I wish).

I'd say day of, make charts/review sheets for each applicable lecture. Obviously you don't have to do it for every lecture, but it helps A LOT for many of them. They are especially helpful for the 'key' 2-3 day review before a test. You also learn better because you are essentially putting the professor's words into your own. You also pick up on a lot of the important minor details that may be on the test.

^This is very hard to do day in and day out, especially in M2, but if you are time efficient and focused, it is doable.

My ideal schedule:

1) Skim through the whole day's lectures to get an idea of what is going on (15-20min per lecture).
2) Watch/Listen to lectures (I'm an auditory learner so I have to listen to all lectures (It is especially useful, because some professors will often say 'You don't have to know this' or 'You MUST know this' etc.).
^You can listen to lectures at 1.4-1.6x speed while having the ppt open. You can watch if that specific lecture is tough to follow or complicated. I usually do the 1.4-1.6x speed thing.
3) Review all the lectures pretty indepth and try to make review notes. I try not to memorize everything, but I do 'memorize' a good amount (Memorizing means I probably won't be able to recall 3-4 days later but whatever, I'm developing my neuronal circuits at least to prep myself for long-term memory).
4)Must hit the gym (can't sacrifice being healthy/in-shape for an MD degree).
5) Review a lecture or 2 from previous day.
6) Spend an hour on Step 1 practice questions and/or review material.

^You can also fit in eating, breathing, and sleeping in between if necessary.

That is probably my ideal schedule. One other thing I was contemplating was doing a quick 'flip through' for 30 min a day once the block's syllabus starts getting pretty hefty just to re-familiarize myself with my previous notes. Try to be 'one' with the material.

Weekend comes: Review everything in-depth. Edit review notes etc. Get the big picture. Start making links. Try to hit a bar and/or see a movie.

Another thing I learned might be helpful, is look through somebody's elses notes, especially if you can get documents/tables from previous M2's. It kind of enables you to pick up small things here and there that you might have skipped over. Also lets you grasp certain concepts better as you are viewing it from a slightly different perspective.

I don't remember exactly what I did. First year, I went through the slides 5-6 times with very detailed notes (taken during the lecture and using the recording a few days after the lecture).

Second year, I went to class everyday and took really good notes, but I studied the corresponding material in BRS Physio, Goljan RR Path, and First Aid until 3-7 days before the test. Fortunately, there was a decent amount of overlap, though the lectures were much more detailed. At that point, I would go through all the lecture notes 2-3 times and take the test. As it got closer to Step 1, I cut back my class-study time until the point that I took the last exam after only dedicating about 12 hours to it.

The more you study, the easier it is to retain information.

at some point u just gotta say F@#$ it, rewind, relax, regroup, then... blah blah blah blah blah

Jeez, OP, your suituation sounds exactly like me. The infomation overload is killing me, slowly going insane too. The lack of sleep does not help either.:(

So are you 2nd years really stressed out too? A lot of people in my class are always laughing and seem so chill and relaxed, at least of the outside. Are they all stressed out too, in the inside?

I feel like I'm the only one going under, like it's tough only for me. And the class average is so high, how is everyone doing it!?

So are you 2nd years really stressed out too? A lot of people in my class are always laughing and seem so chill and relaxed, at least of the outside. Are they all stressed out too, in the inside?

I feel like I'm the only one going under, like it's tough only for me. And the class average is so high, how is everyone doing it!?

I'd wager that a good portion of my class is stressed. It doesn't help that we're the first class of a new curriculum and professors aren't sure how to teach yet. And our systems are really short (less than a month), so there's no time to really adapt to each new system's way of doing things.

Anyone not finding it that bad? I like second year >>> first and yeah its a lot of work but it's not that much more overwhelming than first year, I'm like 7 weeks in. I did do very well first year though and have a strong science background from college.

Realize step 1 >>>>> your class grades.

Don't fail..but for example

Class grade avg: 85%, Step 1: 250 >>>> Class grade avg 99%, Step 1 :200 (this happens at my school)

Anyone not finding it that bad? I like second year >>> first and yeah its a lot of work but it's not that much more overwhelming than first year, I'm like 7 weeks in. I did do very well first year though and have a strong science background from college.

First year sucked more because the info was far more useless and non clinical. Sure we have some crappy details in MS2, but at least the majority is clinical now.

yeah it doesn't feel THAT bad. Having gone through M1 made me much more efficient. M2 is just like a continuation.

To the OP, pharm is hard for everyone. Don't worry and just work at it, you'll get it soon enough.

One of the most important things you can't forget is confidence.

A lot of people show up and seem laid back and relaxed, but on the inside they are a little scared of the test. They just don't let it get to them and neither should you. With all the time you spend worrying about the questions or how you match up or if you had only studied that one fact harder, you could instead use that time to try to reason through the answer or do another pass of the material while studying.

Just put your swag on and realize there is gonna be stuff you won't know, you can't ever know it all, when you realize that the rest comes easy.

I don't think 2nd year is terrible, it's definitely more busy and a lot less breathing room. Then again, I don't go to lecture..... I'm not sure how you could keep your sanity with 6-8 hours of lecture torture and still study that material at night.