How to deal with...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungProdigy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Primarily asking current med students, especially those in rotations, but obviously anybody can answer.

So when you're new to everything and a little fish in a big pond, how do you deal with not knowing answers to questions from superiors or even from patients? The lack of knowledge being attributed to being a "novice" in the field of medicine - ranging from the science itself to the dynamics of a hospital (from knowing the ins and outs of a computer program you have to use daily to what have you).

So how do you deal with telling someone you don't know the answer to something? I personally feel like everytime I give that answer, I'm failing myself and the other person (especially if they're a mentor figure), and I know there may always be times I don't know the answer to something, and I want to get comfortable with answering a question with a simple "i dont know."

stupid question, perhaps, but any insight would be helpful. TIA.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard multiple times from attendings/senior residents that the medical student/interns that they dislike the most are the ones who won't ever admit they don't know, those people are a danger in the clinic. Nobody expects you to know everything, of course you will feel like you should know or will feel ashamed for not knowing, but just saying "that's a really good question, I'm actually not sure, let me check and get back to you" is a lot better than trying to fake the answer, attendings and even patients can tell when you're talking out your ass trying to pretend you know something.

Reactions: 1 users
"I don't know." I say it on an almost daily basis.

Something you have to come to terms with in medical school is that you are going to have knowledge gaps... Huge knowledge gaps. You have to learn to be okay with that, or its going to eat you up inside. There's no shame in admitting you don't know something. What's important is acknowledging that and knowing where you can look to find out. Hell, attendings look stuff up every day. There's just too much to be expected to know everything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, you're not going to know everything and there's absolutely nothing wrong with admitting that so long as you show that you're actively seeking the answer. If you knew it all, they would all be working for you.

Just try to be aware of your surroundings and pick up on cues. Otherwise, ask.

1) better get used to it. You will say it every day for the rest of your career. Whether it's lack of knowledge or a question without an answer at all, you will be telling people you don't know. A lot. You'll dress it up in different outfits but the meaning won't change. If you absolutely cannot stomach the idea of looking a scared parent or patient in the eye and saying you don't know, you may want to think about your career choice.

2) as a student and as an intern, everyone assumes you don't know a darn thing. The more junior you are, the less anyone thinks you know. Saying you don't know is basically meeting expectations. Obviously you should grow over time and a chief resident who doesn't know more than an intern is in for a world of hurt, but generally speaking when you advance to a new role, it is assumed that you know nothing about functioning in that role.

3) don't ever lie. This is really the cardinal sin at any level. This is what gets people fired. Once you lost trust, you're really hosed. Saying you don't know is absolutely ok. You can not know and not fail or get fired for a LONG time. If you make a habit of lying, you'll get canned fast.

Reactions: 1 user
Primarily asking current med students, especially those in rotations, but obviously anybody can answer.

So when you're new to everything and a little fish in a big pond, how do you deal with not knowing answers to questions from superiors or even from patients? The lack of knowledge being attributed to being a "novice" in the field of medicine - ranging from the science itself to the dynamics of a hospital (from knowing the ins and outs of a computer program you have to use daily to what have you).

So how do you deal with telling someone you don't know the answer to something? I personally feel like everytime I give that answer, I'm failing myself and the other person (especially if they're a mentor figure), and I know there may always be times I don't know the answer to something, and I want to get comfortable with answering a question with a simple "i dont know."

stupid question, perhaps, but any insight would be helpful. TIA.

Limiting your "I don't know"
#1 Read. Every single day. Even if you are a surgical resident working 80 hours/week, you should pick up a textbook or review book every single day. Even if it is 10-15 minutes. Once you are in the habit, you will keep doing it.
#2 Ask your senior residents what people ask, or simply be at places where there is an expectation of seniors teaching. People like to ask the same questions over and over whether they be patients or attendings. For example, when one of my attendings walks students or residents through different dissections, I know what questions they are going to ask. I know what the key points that they will harp on. While we have a very education/community oriented group, most senior residents know these things are are happy to share them, but may need a little prompting.

But, more important than those. You know more than you think. The reality is, most of what happens in clinical medicine isn't science or even really medicine. Most patient questions revolve around how the system works. The medical questions that most ask are very basic and they tend to be the same questions over and over again. There will always be questions that even if you know the answer or part of the answer, it is probably better or more appropriate for an upper level to talk about. That having been said, you gotta learn at some point. You should be in every patient conference/conversation that you can. Learn how your seniors side step questions while keeping patients content that their questions will get answered, just not right then. Learn how to talk about difficult topics.

Lastly, you simply have to suppress your ego and embrace humility. This is a very humbling sport. Not just because you are at the bottom of the totem pole, but because of the nature of the field. Even if you are maximally prepared, you are going to have to tell patients, "I don't know." Attendings, even decades into practice have to. We aren't gods. We aren't perfect. The sooner you understand that and appreciate that, the sooner you will start to excel. I will also say that people who have had to deal with this before medical school and residency tend to have an easier time. They tend to be the people pushing themselves beyond their comfort zone rather than focusing on the safe easy "A's" and cookbook ECs.

Reactions: 4 users
All of the physicians I have spent time shadowing have said "I don't know" (or some similar version of uncertainty) to a patient at least once a day. One of them has been practicing for 20+ years. They have also specifically mentioned how they frequently don't have all the answers and that's an important part of what they communicate to patients.

Very carefully...

how do you deal with not knowing answers to questions from superiors or even from patients?

"Great question... I don't know. I'll get back to you"

how do you deal with telling someone you don't know the answer to something?

You open your mouth, inhale, use some nerves and muscles, articulate "I don't know" as you expire.