How to decide on a research assistant job after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaleidoscopes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
nm

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This has been reiterated many times, but pubs generally don't matter, so long as you can talk about the experience in a meaningful way. A publication can certainly be evidence of a meaningful and immersive experience, but it can also mean you had a very kind PI. Fame of the PI and hospital don't matter...your involvement and growth throughout the experience do.

the fame of the pi or hospital matters nothing for your application. Publications are good to have, but like the other person said, how meaningful it was to you is more important. Publications matter the most for grad students and post docs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't agree with the above two posters.

Name of Hospital, Name of PI, # of Pubs matter enormously. Perhaps less so in med school apps, but they certainly have an effect. If I had a your choice, I would go for the one that has a big name, will give you good chance of getting Pubs. Of course, talking intelligently will matter, but you will be able to do that if you are involved in writing manuscripts!

As far as shadowing and exploring, they will require some effort regardless of where you are. If you have a decent personality, can get along with other people and aren't very shy, you can build relationships with in the department and explore your options.

Don't agree with the above two posters.

Name of Hospital, Name of PI, # of Pubs matter enormously. Perhaps less so in med school apps, but they certainly have an effect. If I had a your choice, I would go for the one that has a big name, will give you good chance of getting Pubs. Of course, talking intelligently will matter, but you will be able to do that if you are involved in writing manuscripts!

As far as shadowing and exploring, they will require some effort regardless of where you are. If you have a decent personality, can get along with other people and aren't very shy, you can build relationships with in the department and explore your options.

I completely agree with this poster. If you are interested in medical school, having publications will help significantly especially at research intensive programs. It is also nice to have a LOR from a PI that is well known in his or her field.

I would honestly go where you are interested (schizophrenia research) and a place that offers the opportunity for great career building e.g. manuscript drafting (it is an art and something that requires experience). It will also keep your options open in case you are only interested in getting your PhD.