How to decide which interviews to attend...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Payne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I have 3 interview offers and I anticipate more. The title is pretty self explanatory; interviews are expensive (we all know this) so should I elect to only accept certain interviews or should I just man up and attend all the interviews? I would hate to only attend 4 interviews and end up without any acceptances you know?

For reference I applied to 8 schools and so far I have interviews from UNC, Detroit Mercy, Penn. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine that you attend all of them unless you have an acceptance to a school you'd prefer over the one you're considering attending for an interview.

Sadly
Interviews do not equal acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my mind set on attending every interviews I get..

Though I have none atm

I'm jealous that you get to choose, why concern?

When did you get your invite for UNC? I applied there really early and still no word, makes me super sad/nervous.

Man up and foot the money needed for those interviews. You don't want to put your acceptance at risk just because you have a few interviews. Scoring an interview doesn't mean you'll get into the school. Until you get your first acceptance, you can't afford to be picky about going to interviews or not.

Reactions: 1 user
Feralis, where did you get that information on UNC? Is there a website that tells when the waves went out?

Go to every interview unless you have an acceptance. Consider it an opportunity for a little vacation.

Op
I like idiots like you

Members don't see this ad :)
You really do not reflect the figure in your avatar....

Complete opposite bruh

Strong and determined

wow chill on the language there.
Really?

Idiot is defined as a stupid person.

Why apply to schools A, B, C, D, E , F ,G?
And when granted interviews, interviews are then thought about....?

Where is the logic ?

Currently, I have 3 interview offers and I anticipate more. The title is pretty self explanatory; interviews are expensive (we all know this) so should I elect to only accept certain interviews or should I just man up and attend all the interviews? I would hate to only attend 4 interviews and end up without any acceptances you know?

For reference I applied to 8 schools and so far I have interviews from UNC, Detroit Mercy, Penn. Thanks.

Man up.

Look at what Arnold did to get where he is now.....

Your scenario is so simple.

Arnold had to hide, lie, and sneak his way around to become the strong man of his times..... While he was in the military.....

This thread took a bizarre, unnecessary turn...
Yea...

I just can't believe how some individuals waste money, other people's time and focus, and are just not sure of what to do when opportunity hits them in their face....

Kinda touched by this....

What would my parents say if I had opportunities at my door?

And I don't want to go out and see them....

Also is applying to schools and not desiring to go to the interviews when granted one.

Same difference.

because some people are humble enough that with solid stat, they are not confident enough to have more than 2-3 interview and thus cast a wider net. now after reading some info, he/she is more confident in his/her chance and willing to only go to interviews of his/her choice.

how many interviews have you gotten already? Mr. Shark? or you applied late and the stress is taking you over?

calling anyone idiot just out of the blue like that is just gg

Reactions: 1 users
Also is applying to schools and not desiring to go to the interviews when granted one.

Same difference.
Yeah but that's their choice though, it doesn't involve the rest of us. Maybe their choice is more beneficial for them. Money is money at the end of the day. Unfortunately, a lot of people are struggling with paying for interview costs and app fees. If the OP doesn't feel like it's worth their time (for any reason) to not go for an interview, I think we should respect their decision. There's enough hostility in the world, no need to make more of it right? Better off using that energy to give others on this forum some useful advice...just how I see it!

Reactions: 2 users
At the end of this....

Those who were granted 7 of 8 or even 8 of 8 interviews....

And only went to 3 or 4 interviews.... But when December and April came along..... No acceptances ......

Then what?
Complain?

You are welcome OP, hopefully some adult parent language used towards you.... Helps avoid this scenario..... Or anybody else thinking of doing the same...

I know that a mature person will not think like this....

I bet, op is 20-22 years old.....

Had one job

And studies a lot of books....

Op definitely does not seem like an Arnold type.... A go getter .

I would attend all of the interviews if you can afford it. Another option is to call the schools back and schedule later interview dates (I got an interview at UOP and they only offered September dates but I asked for an October interview). That way you can see if you get more interviews at other schools and then determine which interviews you want to attend. Also you should check to see the acceptance rate from those interviewed at each school. If it's a higher acceptance rate and you're a strong interviewer than you can make riskier choices. Congratulations though- I don't think there is anything wrong with going to some interviews and skipping others :)

At the end of this....

Those who were granted 7 of 8 or even 8 of 8 interviews....

And only went to 3 or 4 interviews.... But when December and April came along..... No acceptances ......

Then what?
Complain?

You are welcome OP, hopefully some adult parent language used towards you.... Helps avoid this scenario..... Or anybody else thinking of doing the same...

I know that a mature person will not think like this....

I bet, op is 20-22 years old.....

Had one job

And studies a lot of books....

Op definitely does not seem like an Arnold type.... A go getter .

If you are a weak applicant, there is no reason to blame others for taking all the interviews.

because some people are humble enough that with solid stat, they are not confident enough to have more than 2-3 interview and thus cast a wider net. now after reading some info, he/she is more confident in his/her chance and willing to only go to interviews of his/her choice.

how many interviews have you gotten already? Mr. Shark? or you applied late and the stress is taking you over?

calling anyone idiot just out of the blue like that is just gg

Let OP speak for himself darky.

And Mr. Shark don't get stressed.... No matter what I will be a dentist..... Now or later.... I'm In it to win....

Don't put your stress on me. Go fish

If you are a weak applicant, there is no reason to blame others for taking all the interviews.

Like I said, I like people who make decisions like this.....

This allows for low stat individuals like myself to get his opportunity.

Like I said, I like people who make decisions like this.....

This allows for low stat individuals like myself to get his opportunity.

He can only take one seat at the end of the day.

I want the best for op, believe or not.....

But weaknesses must be pointed out.

IMO

Good night

I want the best for op, believe or not.....

But weaknesses must be pointed out.

IMO

Good night

i believe you should retake the DAT and pull up your GPA if those are your true stat. yea I just ditch near 1500$ for 4 interview trip booking and 1 driving (150$ worth I guess) so it is a lot of money. but i have cold feet so i will attend all of them.

Never really thought of myself as an idiot...

Yes I am 21, and like most people my age I am pretty much a broke college student. When deciding to apply to schools I casted a medium size net to schools I had an interest in and schools I believed I had a chance of being accepted.

To understand more about me I really don't like asking my parents for money because they already have to help pay for my 47,000/year private school I go to now. So everything dental related I try to pay on my own (AADSAS app, supp fees, DAT prep + exam). Now that interviews are coming up I really can't afford to pay for all this alone..

So I have begun asking my parents for help.. But interview trips take planning in advance and it's expensive when you plan multiple trips at the same time.

Ie buying round trip plane tickets to NC and Detroit.

Anyway to make a long post short

Thank you for the advice, SDN has lowkey become a home away from home lol

Yes I am 21, and like most people my age I am pretty much a broke college student. When deciding to apply to schools I casted a medium size net to schools I had an interest in and schools I believed I had a chance of being accepted.

To understand more about me I really don't like asking my parents for money because they already have to help pay for my 47,000/year private school I go to now. So everything dental related I try to pay on my own (AADSAS app, supp fees, DAT prep + exam). Now that interviews are coming up I really can't afford to pay for all this alone..

So I have begun asking my parents for help.. But interview trips take planning in advance and it's expensive when you plan multiple trips at the same time.

have you looked at expedia trip? or priceline trip bidding? around 400$ from west coast to east coast.

Im going to plan to attend the interviews I have now, but as I get more invitations I will more than likely become more selective on those I choose to attend.

its still pretty early so I guess the OP means he just wants 3 now and may wait for his choices that may invite him later.
I think if one applies to 8 school, he/she should be ready to go to all interviews, otherwise it is just reckless - I am trying to avoid strong language. Even with strong stats, the rejection is still possible from all 8 schools, not just 4 first ones

have you looked at expedia trip? or priceline trip bidding? around 400$ from west coast to east coast.

For price line bidding- is it you basically bid on flights and for lack of a better word "win" the flight for your bid? (may be a very dumb question)

Ask for a loan, not a giveaway. Believe me, they would prefer for you to be accepted this year even if it is going to cost more. Just calculate how much more expensive applying next year will be. At the end it may be a very expensive "insurance", but it is worth it

For price line bidding- is it you basically bid on flights and for lack of a better word "win" the flight for your bid? (may be a very dumb question)

so basically for priceline you put in your trip, hotel, car (if you choose to) and they give you a price but there is also an option of finding a lower one, you can enter the amount of money you would like (usually cheaper 100-200$ but they give u weird time and long lay over) so just pick any that fit you. or raise the price a bit and you get a more comfortable time.

i believe if you live in east coast and fly to those schools, its gonna be around 300$ tax included for hotel + flight +car.

OP: I think you should attend all your interviews just to be safe.

tooth knockn's nonsense can otherwise be disregarded. He makes a lot of hostile, imbecilic posts like these because he has difficulties with both communicating and getting into dental school (bombing the DAT multiple times will do that to you). He is resentful you have multiple opportunities while he has none due to his shortcomings.

tooth knockn's nonsense can otherwise be disregarded. He makes a lot of hostile, imbecilic posts like these because he has difficulties with both communicating and getting into dental school (bombing the DAT multiple times will do that to you). He is resentful you have multiple opportunities while he has none due to his shortcomings.

By definition resentful is to be bitter due to unfair treatment.

Nonsense is your comment.

I come in short academically, but I will still become a dentist.

Plasmabrain, I think your skin is as thin as your username.

A little childish of you. Not everyone is capable of being politically correct, it comes with age, but everyone understands, that it is low to say what you said

A little childish of you. Not everyone is capable of being politically correct, it comes with age, but everyone understands, that it is low to say what you said

welll wellll its kinda arrogrant of the shark to call OP idiot and bring other BS in too so what the plasmamembrane says has some weight

welll wellll its kinda arrogrant of the shark to call OP idiot and bring other BS in too so what the plasmamembrane says has some weight

I take back what I said about OP being an idiot.

It seems like he is not....

I read what he wrote and seems like he will be attending the first set of interviews which were offered to him....

To be honest it is stupid not to attend interviews the colleges offer....

Then what is the point of applying to all these schools?

Especially with good stats!

I, with low stats, have applied to all north eastern schools, basically from Pennsylvania and as Far west as CASE....

In total like 12 schools.....

If I get interviews I plan on attending all of them..... Whether it is 1 school or 12 schools.

If zero schools, I'm here next year.....

At the end of the day

To each their own.

Maybe I tooth knockn, knocked some sense into Dr. Payne....

And dr. P won't admit that.

It is politically incorrect and strong word, but true. I would call it illogical and careless, he chose different word - he felt that way at the moment

I wouldn't skip an interview without an acceptance in hand, but what I have done is this. One of the schools I've applied to allowed me to pick my own interview date, and I scheduled it for mid December knowing there'd be a chance I could cancel it later, but if not, I'd still have it in my back pocket.