General How to decided between Colby vs. Brandeis vs. BU for undergrad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My daughter is a high school senior and is debating between Colby college, Brandeis University, and Boston University for putting the deposit on May 1. She wants to pursue a career in medicine. Which of the 3 colleges would you recommend for a student who wants to do a pre-med track? Which will most likely (and unlikely) enable her to receive a good GPA? In addition, how important is research opportunities as compared to a good GPA for medical school admission? Thank you!
I will let someone else chime in regarding the schools who may know more about those ones in particular.

However regarding the research vs GPA. People get into medical school with a good GPA and no research all the time. NO ONE gets into medical school with a bad GPA no matter the amount of research they have completed. Will research help? Absolutely. But it will in no way replace GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

I generally recommend that students go where they want. Moreso than the "name" of the university, the most important point on the app is going to be GPA (and MCAT). Going to a place where she is happy will allow her to be the most successful.

Personally would go to the cheaper school. Medical school in itself is expensive and when you add in 4 years of undergrad, the ticket can be outrageous. The school name and research are not nearly as important as the GPA you get. GPA and MCAT are the two biggest factors for students getting into medical school.

Another thing to consider is support. If any of these schools are close to family/friends that may be something to consider (as long as your daughter wants to live close to family).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for the great advice! My daughter has narrowed her choices down between Colby and Brandeis. I personally prefer Colby because of the small classes and easy access to professors when recommendation letters are needed. But daughter leans towards Brandeis because the research opportunity and the reputation of the Chemistry department. I have a feeling that she will be more likely to get a good GPA at Colby than Brandeis. What do you think? Do you think she will be more likely to get a good GPA at Colby or Brandeis? Do you hear any grade deflation at either Colby or Brandeis? Thank you so much!
I don't know anything in particular about either of the schools. Research not AS important as volunteering, grades, and MCAT. If her goal is medical school, wouldn't go to a school only because of research opportunities.

One parent to another, do a CC for the first two years and then go to the school with the cheapest tuition.

The diploma will still say Brandeis, etc.

Do you think she will be more likely to get a good GPA at Colby or Brandeis?
This is 100% on her, not the school.

One parent to another, do a CC for the first two years and then go to the school with the cheapest tuition.

The diploma will still say Brandeis, etc.

Do you think she will be more likely to get a good GPA at Colby or Brandeis?
This is 100% on her, not the school.
This. Literally cut your bill in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.